Tim

Dimmdrive BETA - Who wants in?

81 posts in this topic

Just grabbed the beta after a while of not using dimmdrive just because of how difficult it was to manage a large list of Steam games with the old version.  New UI is a substantial improvement!  I do have two feature requests though.

1) A resizable window.  I have a lot more vertical space on my screen than Dimmdrive is using, I'd like to see more of the list at once.

2) An option to either remove the game image and/or replace it with something smaller like Steam's icon list view, for a more compact view.

On the surface it doesn't seem like these are big asks, and I think that either or both of these would be substantial "quality of use" improvements for people with large libraries.

edit: After some further use, I have noticed that manually adding a game that does not keep its .exe in the topmost folder in it's file structure is a little awkward.  For games that use CryEngine the binaries are kept in a GameName\Bin folder, with most of the data files in GameName\Data, so adding the .exe to Dimmdrive ignores the data folders.  You can manually add the topmost folder of course, but I can see some people getting tripped up by this.  Not sure if there's a simple fix for this though.

I Open Dimmdrive.

I select ON for both Borderlands 2 (11.2GB) and Divinity: Original Sin (11.8GB).

Drive is set to 24 GB.

I start loading it to RAM.

When complete I go to settings and click "Open Drive" and voila. Crash.

While testing for repeatability I found it's an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works, other times it crashes.

After seeing your post I tried it again and everything worked fine. Then I loaded Divinity by itself and pressing "Open Drive" crashed it.

This happens for me as well, Dimmdrive is set to 14GB and drive letter is Z.

The following games are loaded to Dimmdrive: Planetary Annihilation, Audiosurf 2, RaceTheSun.

Under settings, the drive letter told me it's letter is Y (Even though under Windows it's Z), but while creating the Dimmdrive it was set to Z.

When clicking on Open Drive, it crashed.

Note that when the Drive letter in the program matches the drive letter in Windows there is no crash, maybe it is changed somehow after running for a while?

Hey

I have used the program to play Alien Isolation and Call of Duty Ghosts recent days. There have not been any surprises so far, it works like previous versions, I think. I have 15 games installed at the moment, but the size of the games will only appear on only a few of the games and sometimes not at all. So I have to to count  how much space the games take  before I choose the size of Ramdrive. I'm running Windows 8.1 with 64 GB of RAM.

OS - Windows 8.1

Ram - 32GB

Deleting an application doesn't seem to work.  Possibly because I have an application in the list twice -- same app.  Would it be possible to test the checksum of the exe and not allow duplicates?  I have StarCitizenLauncher (twice) and StarCitizen (once) and I'm pretty sure that all 3 are the same thing. :(

OS - Windows 8.1

Ram - 32GB

Deleting an application doesn't seem to work. 

Hey there! Yup, this bug definitely exists and has been fixed pending an upcoming update release shortly (along with a bunch of other fixes).

In the process list for task manager, Dimmdrive is listed as 32 bit. Is that right? Does it matter?

The key is that Dimmdrive has a Microsoft Authenticode-signed kernel-mode driver and Windows service in addition to the GUI. All 3 things work together to ensure high speed data integrity with Dimmdrive.

Running on a bootcamp'ed iMac.

Win 7 Pro

24 GB of ram

I rotate through a large library of games there are usually a dozen on my PC at any time. 

Other: Yes.

I'm sorry, Tim, but isn't 2.0.2 beta the current build? Maybe the link is wrong?

Yup it is.  The link goes to that version.  Is there another link you're referencing?

That is correct.  The link was posted again for people who wanted to sign up for the beta and missed the link in the OP :)

When you run Dimmdrive, it'll do a version check and prompt you for an update when it is available.  Just a note:  The final beta update is probably just a few days away! 

I don't suppose the Beta Dimmdrive could cause a BSOD "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT". I got two of em' while playing Payday 2.

Hey there, create another thread in the bug reporting with the error (including the 0x00000xxxx number) and let's see if we can figure that out!

To add non-steam games, select the app tab. Then either right-click and choose add and choose the exe or drag an exe, shortcut or folder inside the tab.

Agree it isn't exactly obvious, but it works the same as DD1 I believe :P

The sorting options are there but not 'in your face', actually quite small perhaps a thin line in an accent color ? skins could also color this line identical to the 'column label'.
Sorting option is not remembered after restarting dimm-drive, I for one like my favorites to always be at the top (certainly others would prefer by alphabet).

The green text on dark grey is a bit hard to read, either add a small border around the font in a contrasting color or change the skin tones.

The whole window is 1/9th of a hull HD screen, which is certainly good to be able to get it this small, but I like a little bit more window space especially when dealing with long lists.

The "symbolic link configuration" window could use a bit more convenience (scroll wheel support and re-sizing).
It also adds additional directories to the selections I make, which is weird to say the least.
The remaining dimm size is calculated according to the 'less' ram selection.

The XML format still contains lots of silliness (just define the default as unselected and skip all non-selected files, unless the user unselects a subfolder, in which case mark that folder as unselected and make all it's children listen to this), my offer to make it smarter still stands.

Hey Freezy!   Thanks for the post!  You do bring up some good points.  I've noticed that some people like it small, some like it large, and I think my end goal is really going to be a highly customizable program for the look and feel.  The reason being is that I've noticed a lot of people have 25-50 games, or they have 250+ games, and it appears that the size and sort method of Dimmdrive really is specific to how many games you have.  So with that said, I'm looking to open up the look and feel a bit more for users to customize themselves. 

I'm definitely keeping your offer in mind once I finish some of the tasks at hand :)

Hi Tim.

First of all, thanks for your job on DimmDrive project, it is a very usefull tool.

1) I noticed one major issue with Beta 2.0.3 :

When I select files from "Dimmdrive only the files that I select" for a steam game (Eg : COD Ghosts mp), the amount of selected files (Eg : Game size = 22.7Gb) is under max dimmdrive capacity (Eg : avaiable DD size = 23.9) but main window still display total of the Game Folder (47.6 Gb) as I checked "Dimmdrive the entire game" and I cannot load my customised drive (Message box is "COD Ghosts could not be enabled because there is not enough space on the drive")

Same issue when I try to add files by "Apps" tab.

It seems to be the same issue posted on this thread by LyricalSniper : http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/1005-less-ram-not-working-beta-202/

2) One usefull (helpfull !) new function could be a way to link selected files in the "Less ram" option with csv files generated by Microsoft Process Monitor

3) 3 tips to be user friendly for my taste :

-) Show the current software version in the main window

-) In the window which let select files in the dimmdrive ("Less ram" option), it would be usefull to have the sort choice (actually able to view only sorted by size)

-) In the window which let select files in the dimmdrive ("Less ram" option), show & refresh the amount data of selected files (acutally, we have to submit the choice to know amount of selected data.)

Regards,

Nicolas

For info, my rig :

Mobo : Asus Rampage V Extreme

CPU : i7 5960X

Ram : DDR4 G-Skill 32 Gb