Dimmdrive BETA - Who wants in?

81 posts in this topic

• Your O/S Version- windows 7 professional 64bit

Amount of RAM you have- 8GB

Estimated # of Steam Games/Apps Installed-214

If you use the "Other Programs" area of Dimmdrive- Games only

Any other comments on how you use Dimmdrive is appreciated

way they show I have to  purchase?

I uninstall like you say, but now say I have to purchase.

Just login with the same user/pass you are using now and hit enter.

This is the best dimmdrive. I love this Greater Gamer Software.

you are the greater Tim.

I LOVEBEDDDDD

The Best Gamer Software Ever..

Thank You TIM 

This is the best dimmdrive. I love this Greater Gamer Software.

you are the greater Tim.

I LOVEBEDDDDD

The Best Gamer Software Ever..

Thank You TIM 

Thanks!  I actually just fixed that bug, so grab the latest Dimmdrive now!

I don't know if this is the bug you fixed with the most recent version, but it crashed when I tried to Open Drive.

Other than that, I really dig the whole UI change. The Steam games not taking 17 years to load up is much appreciated as well.

<Tim Edit to keep post on topic for BETA, but def ask other questions in another post! Answer though is a definite no :)>

Hey Tim,

i'm running the BETA 2.02 and until now it's doing fine. I Really like the new GUI.

However, there's one thing i miss - didn't you implement a "minimize to tray" - button or am i just too dumb to find it?

Hey Tim,

i'm running the BETA 2.02 and until now it's doing fine. I Really like the new GUI.

However, there's one thing i miss - didn't you implement a "minimize to tray" - button or am i just too dumb to find it?

There's a checkbox on the settings tab that let's you toggle if its minimize or minimize to tray now.

Hello: Tim

something I miss from the other DImmDrive.. Is The: ( The CPU % And File Sync.)

Definitely coming back to the program, just haven't added it back in yet. Keen eye :)

Hello: Tim

something I miss from the other DImmDrive.. Is The: ( The CPU % And File Sync.)

Definitely coming back to the program, just haven't added it back in yet. Keen eye :)

Just to clarify: File sync is implemented in the BETA, it is only missing from the GUI and working silently in the background, I just tested it.

Just to clarify: File sync is implemented in the BETA, it is only missing from the GUI and working silently in the background, I just tested it.

Correct! File sync, a very important part of Dimmdrive, works fantastically! Juet the real-time sync "report" hasn't been re-added as of yet. It'll be in the bottom bar area of the main window shortly :)

Hi Tim,

When Dimmdrive is activated, the HD benchmark button is clickable but it doesn't show any screens. After disabling the Dimmdrive, the HD Benchmark button still doesn't do anything and it requires me to restart Dimmdrive in order to get the HD Benchmark button to work again.

Not that I use the button that often, I just wanted to see what the Dimmdrive would report as read/write speeds. That said, this functionality has had trouble working even with version one, it might be on my system.

The transferring from game-files to Dimmdrive has significantly increased in speed for me, it doesn't even take half the time it used to, so that's a major improvement!

I guess i'm a unique user in that I've run into bugs that nobody else seems to have noticed.

Setup: Dimmdrive 2.0.2 beta on Windows 8.1.1 x64 with 32gb ram and no steam games (I don't use steam & I got dimmdrive purely for custom programs / games)

Bugs:

1. Drag & drop of folders no longer works. The dropped folders do show up in programs section as usual but when dimmdrive is started the folders are no longer loaded like they used to in last version.
2. Selective load of content isn't being taken into account when I load content and for whatever reason, it kept complaining about not enough space. I was trying to load 14.1 gb of 16gb which didn't work even in a 24gb dimmdrive. Loading the entire thing works fine. (of course this works fine in current stable version)
3. Trying to delete the custom entries by clicking the recycle bin icon, I'm presented with duplicate entries somehow rather than removing the entries (though they are actually removed because upon restart of program, they're not there)

I pretty much uninstalled the beta at this point and reverted back to stable version which while annoying with libcef version, at least works fine otherwise.

Feature request:
Your program should honor the existing custom program settings rather than starting from scratch because having to do all custom program mappings all over again is a pain and I've already done three times just to test this version. (once to originally set everything up, then to install beta and do it all over again, then again to set it back in stable version)

Hi Tim,

When Dimmdrive is activated, the HD benchmark button is clickable but it doesn't show any screens. After disabling the Dimmdrive, the HD Benchmark button still doesn't do anything and it requires me to restart Dimmdrive in order to get the HD Benchmark button to work again.

Not that I use the button that often, I just wanted to see what the Dimmdrive would report as read/write speeds. That said, this functionality has had trouble working even with version one, it might be on my system.

The transferring from game-files to Dimmdrive has significantly increased in speed for me, it doesn't even take half the time it used to, so that's a major improvement!

I've confirmed the HD benchmark button bug only works ONCE when you click it.  From there, the button disables (part of the code that disables it when the Dimmdrive is OFF is malfunctioning).   Thanks for the submission!

Hey Maverik

I guess i'm a unique user in that I've run into bugs that nobody else seems to have noticed.

Setup: Dimmdrive 2.0.2 beta on Windows 8.1.1 x64 with 32gb ram and no steam games (I don't use steam & I got dimmdrive purely for custom programs / games)

Bugs:

1. Drag & drop of folders no longer works. The dropped folders do show up in programs section as usual but when dimmdrive is started the folders are no longer loaded like they used to in last version.
2. Selective load of content isn't being taken into account when I load content and for whatever reason, it kept complaining about not enough space. I was trying to load 14.1 gb of 16gb which didn't work even in a 24gb dimmdrive. Loading the entire thing works fine. (of course this works fine in current stable version)
3. Trying to delete the custom entries by clicking the recycle bin icon, I'm presented with duplicate entries somehow rather than removing the entries (though they are actually removed because upon restart of program, they're not there)

I pretty much uninstalled the beta at this point and reverted back to stable version which while annoying with libcef version, at least works fine otherwise.

Feature request:
Your program should honor the existing custom program settings rather than starting from scratch because having to do all custom program mappings all over again is a pain and I've already done three times just to test this version. (once to originally set everything up, then to install beta and do it all over again, then again to set it back in stable version)

For your #1:   I tested and cannot replicate.  I'm using a simple folder called Test on my desktop, with a Test.txt inside.  Everything works correctly and file sync works correctly. 

For your #2:   Could you post screenshots of each step?  I'm trying to replicate and everything goes correctly for me.  Something to keep in mind is I pad on 10% space for file size expansion into every DD'd program.  So a 10G folder would require a 11G size. 

For your #3:   I see it isn't deleting correctly, confirmed bug!  

For the version config changes, this definitely will be the case once the new version settles down but won't be the case while the new version is having new things added constantly.  But I definitely agree, having to redo things from scratch is a pain, and it'll be worked out to save/export/import configs in the future!

Hey Maverik

For your #1:   I tested and cannot replicate.  I'm using a simple folder called Test on my desktop, with a Test.txt inside.  Everything works correctly and file sync works correctly. 

For your #2:   Could you post screenshots of each step?  I'm trying to replicate and everything goes correctly for me.  Something to keep in mind is I pad on 10% space for file size expansion into every DD'd program.  So a 10G folder would require a 11G size. 

For your #3:   I see it isn't deleting correctly, confirmed bug!  

For the version config changes, this definitely will be the case once the new version settles down but won't be the case while the new version is having new things added constantly.  But I definitely agree, having to redo things from scratch is a pain, and it'll be worked out to save/export/import configs in the future!

#1 -> I just tested in office and I couldn't recreate it either with the test folder. I'll have to redo stuff when I get home. Can i possibly have side-by-side installations somehow (without invoking VM) ? I really don't want to go through uninstall and reinstall cycle redoing all my config again. (perhaps backup some config folder? it's a .net app so I'm assuming %userprofile%\apps\2.0\... might be one place i could back up from?)

#2 -> I can't rdp in right now for some reason, so I'll try to do this again when i get home and post SS

Config changes, yes I agree this is a low priority thing while we're in flux but thank you for the import/export for final product in advance :)

Something else to consider for final product: have MSI upgrade guid implemented properly so that MSI can figure out that its a newer version and not a product that's already installed. I'm not sure if basic MSI supports the automatic upgrades like this as I've only been using installshield stuff when i had to create MSIs but thought I'll throw it out there.

Also: while I may be throwing spanners in your works, i'm also happy to help with fixes if you ever wish to get into some private conversation about some fix or feel free to come grab me in http://chat.stackoverflow.com/rooms/18165/wpf under same name.

I just downloaded and installed the BETA in the manner specified by the instructions.

I saw the stars next to my games so I clicked on a couple.

I then selected those games and started the ramdrive loading and noticed there was no "minimize" button on the load bar. Kinda annoying but not a big problem.

Then I went to the settings and clicked "Open Drive" and the program crashed.

After restarting Dimmdrive I can't find the games I starred in the list.

Edit: I stared and loaded up a different game then restarted Dimmdrive. My games are back in the list. The crash when pressing "Open Drive" is repeatable.

Then I went to the settings and clicked "Open Drive" and the program crashed.

After restarting Dimmdrive I can't find the games I starred in the list.

Edit: I stared and loaded up a different game then restarted Dimmdrive. My games are back in the list. The crash when pressing "Open Drive" is repeatable.

I tried to reproduce your "Open Drive -> Crash" but couldn't.  Could you please post a step by step on what you're doing, including what config options you've made, to replicate the crash?

Thanks!

I Open Dimmdrive.

I select ON for both Borderlands 2 (11.2GB) and Divinity: Original Sin (11.8GB).

Drive is set to 24 GB.

I start loading it to RAM.

When complete I go to settings and click "Open Drive" and voila. Crash.

While testing for repeatability I found it's an intermittent problem. Sometimes it works, other times it crashes.

After seeing your post I tried it again and everything worked fine. Then I loaded Divinity by itself and pressing "Open Drive" crashed it.