Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
RobertMW

New Feature: Create Multiple drives

2 posts in this topic

Ive been using DimmDrive for about 12 hours now, and so far all is great! It is super simple to set up my games to run from memory.

But there are other things that I want to have running only to memory, like my windows Temp folder, so they arent constantly writing to my SSD system drive. Right now I am using a second RAM Drive software that starts on boot with a couple folders all set to go for that purpose.

I would like to see the ability to create multiple drives from DimmDrive, so that I could leave a drive or two on at all times but still have the ability to reconfigure any of them independantly when necessary.

Hey hey there!

Interesting Idea!  What I've done so far for this is basically to have Dimmdrive run multiple times, with each new running being able to identify drives that are already "used up" by Dimmdrive.

Essentially, Run your first Dimmdrive.  Set it to be XYZ Drive letter and whatever size.  Set ZERO games or folders or anything.  Just start it up with nothing configured.  BAM - Blank new ramdrive to use however, with no sync enabled, perfect for scratch.

Then simply run Dimmdrive again :)   It will recognize drive letters already being used by prior Dimmdrives and allow you to do whatever drive you want for games/programs/etc and manage symlinks, syncing, etc.

That is where it is at for now, but I think if it becomes high demand, I could definitely add something so you wouldn't have to run Dimmdrive twice.  I would probably do something like  "Normal Dimmdrive"  whereas you can do games, programs, syncing, symlinks, etc.  Then "Blank Dimmdrive" where it just starts up a generic blank ramdisk.  How would that sound?