Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
newquestions

Google Chrome - I am new and need some help please ...

8 posts in this topic

Hello everyone,

My name is Johnathan :)

I just purchase DimmDrive and I need some help.

I dragged my Google Chrome icon into the "other programs" section

of DimmDrive and it seems to have loaded correctly. However, it still

seems to run at roughly the same speed.

Is there a better way to optimize Google Chrome other than just

dragging the icon into DimmDrive? Should I be adding directories

or other files that DimmDrive may not be aware of?

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Johnathan

Well you could add the cache and it might speed up a bit, but in the end a browsers speed is mostly dependant on your network connection rather than HDD speed, Chrome also already use a lot of memory for caching so I doubt using it with DimmDrive will give you any noticeable changes.

DimmDrive works best with software that is heavy on Reading/Writing to a HDD, like game textures, models and audio, or video editing software and such.

Thanks for the feedback :)

I did a bit more research, and I did find a great way to increase

Google Chrome performance. 

Basically, you can create a Cache directory in your DimmDrive,

and then modify the Google Chrome EXE file path to force it to

use this Cache directory, instead of the one on your hard drive.

You can learn more here:

http://pcsx2fan.blogspot.com.au/2014/03/how-to-change-disk-cache-location-of_16.html

I've noticed a huge speed increase when opening multiple tabs.

DimmDrive is already handling the most important parts of the

Google Chrome program, but by setting a cache directory also

on the DimmDrive - it makes it run super fast :)

Hopefully that helps! Certainly worth the effort!

Heck yea, that was linked on the forums here in the past.  It is definitely something I'm looking to build directly into DD (something such as custom commands, or Chrome/Firefox cache support, making this easier).

Browsing with the browser + cache on Dimmdrive is insanely awesome, almost as if your ISP connection is massively faster.   I love it :)

There is another good reason to do this. If you keep all your history and cache files on dimmdrive, you have some security and privacy when you remove it all.

Hey Tim - wondering if this ever progressed for Chrome, would gladly pay for a second licence to use it  :)

(something such as custom commands, or Chrome/Firefox cache support, making this easier).

Hey there,

Somebody created a batch file to do this with Chrome on the forums here, though the feature hasn't been hard coded into Dimmdrive (yet!).

To truly speed up browsing in any browser the first thing you should do prior to starting any program including DD is simply removing ALL temp files on your system. There is a known "bug" in all Windows versions that creates these temp files that normal temp file removal programs will NOT delete them off. It is actually a small program buoy into the is called Autosave. You cannot delete it not uninstall it. You can only run a small piece of code that Microsoft released that allows you to delete the temp files. The code is "%temp%". The truck is when running this code is to remove the files out of the recycle bin after deleting them. Windows creates these little nasties while you are running the os and you don't even know it is happening. I show customers all the time what to do on a regular basis to keep their is clean and speedy. The program actually creates the temps then loads them into RAM every time you start your computer so if you want a better DD experience and a faster computer DELETE these temp files out of the recycle bin and Windows will release the RAM back to the os. Get in touch with me if you have any questions. I am currently working on create a batch file that runs the whole process but Tim I think you could probably create it faster as I don't program much.