daymaN

[ANSWERED] Launching Steam games through Dimmdrive cause an error.

17 posts in this topic

I had an older version of Dimmdrive installed and everything was perfectly fine, but when I updated to the latest version yesterday I started getting an error.  When I try to launch a Steam game I get this error: "Failed to start game (missing executable)"

I can't find any documentation about this error anywhere. Any ideas?

Hey there,

It definitely helps to tell what the error was, and how you are using Dimmdrive and have configured it, what the game is, etc.

Let me know so I can figure this out for you :)

Like I said Steam just gives me an error saying  "Failed to start game (missing executable)."  I have DimmDrive set up as 14.3 GB and just selected ON for Dota 2 Beta and then hit ON for enable DimmDrive no specific settings other than that.

Try this:

1. Close Dimmdrive
  2. Run Windows Explorer
  3. In the address bar, type %appdata%  and then locate the Dimmdrive folder.  For example, mine is C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Dimmdrive
  4. Delete the Dimmdrive folder.  This'll blow away your entire DD config
  5. Restart Dimmdrive and re-log in. 
  6. Click on DOTA wrench icon
  7. Make sure MORE RAM? is selected
  8. Click CLOSE
  9. Set your Dimmdrive size to minimum probably 10% higher than the DOTA folder is.
  10. Click ON on the DOTA game
  11. Click ON on Dimmdrive

That should be a good config.

If that doesn't work, which some games require a tiny tweak due to how they are built:

1. Click on the DOTA wrench
  2. Click LESS RAM? option
  3. Select everything EXCEPT the .exes for the game
  4. Click OK and then enable it and run with that

Thanks for the quick answer! Using the 1st option is giving me same error.

Using the second option gives me the following error:

"Failed to load the Launcher DLL:

The specified module could not be found."

Also, another thing. When I hit "Open Drive", Dimmdrive crashes.  I'm assuming it shouldn't be doing that.

It definitely shouldn't give you a crash.  Hmm.

I have yet to find any application that hasn't worked.  Technically, I suppose if an app had some sort of insane DRM/anti-cheat, it is possibly it could have issues.  However, I'm pretty sure some DD users have DOTA2 and are using it as it is the #1 game on Steam.

Could you try the 1st option, and possibly make a video of it, from start to finish (as in, delete your Dimmdrive config, then do that whole step process) and post it so I can take a look?

I'll download DOTA myself and test in the morning.

EDIT:  DOTA2 I mean :)

Hey Tim. I realized what my issue is.  I don't think I have enough RAM to run Dota 2 with Dimmdrive. I only have 16GB of RAM and the game uses 12.4.  It worked fine when I tried doing Borderlands 2 which is only 7.4.  I apologize for wasting your time! I'll just have to wait to use the program until I have more ram.

No way, it'll still work using Dimmdrive's "Less RAM" option =)

I am downloading DOTA2 as we speak. I am going to make a Youtube video just for you tomorrow on setting this up!

To help me out, run DOTA2 normally for maybe 2 hours, then check task manager. How much RAM does the game use?

That's awesome thank you so much.  I'll take a look in an hour or two and post on here.  I appreciate it..

No way, it'll still work using Dimmdrive's "Less RAM" option =)

I am downloading DOTA2 as we speak. I am going to make a Youtube video just for you tomorrow on setting this up!

To help me out, run DOTA2 normally for maybe 2 hours, then check task manager. How much RAM does the game use?

Sorry, I forgot to respond.  Looks like Dota 2 is using about 500MB of RAM, but that's while sitting in the main menu. In game I haven't seen it go above 2.5GB

Hey Tim! I haven't had a chance to try it all out yet, but I'm sure it will work. Thanks so much.

It should work for sure.  I did it using the "Less RAM" option and set it to roughly 9GB of RAM.  You could lower it to 7-9GB if you need to and just restrict the files that you select.

With me doing 9GB I clocked in some nice speed increases, but I didn't play the game since I'm a noob at DOTA2 :)