Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AlucardD80

Turbo Mode questions

16 posts in this topic

Does the usb have to have enough space for everything that I'd wanna run? Say i have 4 games each at10gb,each one is fully put on the dimmdrive, ofcourse I'd only run 1 at a time, so then do i need a 40gb usb or a 10gb usb?

My USB 3.0 stick is treated as a hard drive by Windows so I can't use this feature, but as I understand it, all the turbo mode does is load all of the files to the flash drive and then copy them into RAM on boot on the premise that this will be faster than loading it from your hard disk. So basically pretending that you have a solid state so you can load into Dimmdrive faster.

You'd need the same amount of space as the things you're putting into Dimmdrive, just like you would on a hard drive.

I would max out your RAM instead and use Dimmdrive, and maybe get a fast USB 3 stick, I have seen 64gig 220MB/sec ones for $9.99.   So you could USB3 turbo to the stick, and then Dimmdrive the game for some siiick speeds.

If I could recommend one, it would probably the the Kingston one.  My latest 64G stick had approaching 250 MB/s.  It cost a bit more now that I remember, maybe $40?  But it was insanely awesome for the USB3 Turbo.

Note:  Sandisk Extreme USB sticks have a bug in Windows 8.  They intentionally made the USB sticks appear as actual hard drives in Windows, not removable storage.  This causes issues with a few things.

One of the big overlooked things with speed has to do with concurrent reads.  Concurrent reads can trash the heck out of your speeds, which is why even having a 100MB/s USB3 makes a *huge* difference.  I've tested with 50/100/250 MB/s and while the 250MB (kingston) makes you want to cry tears of joy, the 100MB is definitely amazing as well.  For example, one of my Agility 3 SSDs loads into Dimmdrive a tad bit slower than the Kingston USB3 disk, despite the SSD being 2x as fast, due to it being pretty aggressively used by my OS boot drive (guess).

Hey all, so I am curious. I have 20gb RAM installed. Is it worth getting a USB 3 turbo stick?

How does that work? I mean if we get a fast one like you are saying. Does it work the same way as in RAM?

Thanks!

Ok makes sense. I am looking to buy one to have, wow nuts how not all are decent speeds. I looked at the one above it was like 60 dollars. Does anyone say which ones work properly and have good speed?