n0tch

USB3 Turbo mode extended to SSD folder

4 posts in this topic

Hi Tim,

Although I haven't yet purchased Dimmdrive (I only have 8Gb and all the games I am playing right now are bigger, so need to put the cash towards more RAM), I would like to offer up some suggestions reagrding the partial game feature that is coming and also the USB3 turbo mode.

1. Would it be possible for Dimmdrive to "suggest" files that may be ignored from the copy to Dimmdrive based on such things as extension (avi, mkv and such) as well as folder keywords such as "intro" or "movies" and then just sym link those over?

2. From what I understand USB3 Turbo mode is using the flash memory as a kind of persistant cache so on subsequent loading it uses that instead of getting the application/game from the HDD again. Could you have the ability to nominate a folder on a SSD drive to do the same thing? I would say a lot of people are using a SSD as a boot/OS drive and Steam installed on a larger HDD and then some form of sym link of the games they are currently playing back to the SSD. With using Dimmdrive and a cache folder of the games on the SSD, subsequent loading would be even faster than USB3. Obviously the USB3 route should still exist as it is cheaper than a SSD.

I am a developer as well and I really like the idea of this bit of kit. I am also an admin over at www.ziip.co.uk  We are a UK based gaming community and gamestore and I have posted up some info regarding your Dimmdrive so hopefully our members can try it out for themselves :)

http://www.ziip.co.uk/theziipgc/showthread.php/391-Dimmdrive?p=4874&viewfull=1#post4874

Cheers

Bev.

Hey hey Bev!  

Let me hit up your questions directly :)

#1  The ability to be selective about what type of files is already in the works.  This is going to be an EXTREMELY exciting feature, rolled out in multiple phases.  The first phase gets rolled out this weekend!  

#2  The USB3 Turbo is basically a cache from a slower drive to a faster drive, for the purpose of jump-start loading of Dimmdrive.  So let's say for example your OS has 1 HD, your mechanical boot HD.  That drive will probably be very slow esp during boot.  So the USB -> DD helps conserve your OS boot drive to focusing on booting, while the USB feeds into DD.  The USB3 route was added exactly for what you mentioned:  It is cheap!  I have a 16GB USB3 for 17 bucks that gets >200MB/s which works amazingly well for this.

The goal is always Fast -->  DD.  So I see your question about using the SSD --> DD, but if that was the case, I think you'd just set that up as your source into DD in the first place (As in, instead of going HD ->  DD, you'd go  SSD -> DD).

I saw your site, looks great!  I see there is some discussions about it already :)  The one guy who mentioned 16GB cap RAM will especially like the update coming this weekend.

Hi Tim,

Cheers for the info. Yeah, there are quite a few guys interested so I said I will pick up a copy and let them know my findings. Hopefully will lead to more sales :)

Got a bid in Ebay for another 8GB of ram which should end on Thursday, hopefully I'll win ;)

Keep up the good work!

Bev.