ialsoagree

Steam Library Cache and Saving "Other Programs" without Quitting

4 posts in this topic

I wanted to submit 2 requests.

One, it would be really nice if the list of Steam games in DIMM Drive was cached, so that each time I launch it doesn't need to check what games were installed before. It just assumes it's the same as last time and, if it can't find a game I told it to put on the DIMM drive, it can give me an error and let me either rescan the library or cancel.

Of course, there would need to be a manual button to start a scan as well (for when you install new games). But this would really expedite the ability to launch games - especially since most people do not download or delete games on Steam as often as they restart their computers.

Two, I've noticed that if I drag a folder to the other programs section, and then shut down my computer without exiting DIMM Drive, the next time I start my computer DIMM Drive will not show the folder that I had dragged into the other programs. However, if I drag the folder to the other programs, quit DIMM Drive, then relaunch it, I have no problems.

It would be convenient if DIMM Drive saved the list of other programs without exiting, so if I shut down my computer without exiting DIMM Drive will have saved my settings.

Hey Ialsoagree!

Firstly, great feedback!  I think you'll like my responses!

The Steam game list part is continually being tweaked right now.  The reason is that Steam uses a variety of methods to keep track of your games, and I'm still discovering some issues with each of those methods, combo'd with Steam making changes here and there.  So as far as Steam game detection goes, this part is continually evolving.  Once I have it down nice and perfect, expect some efficiency methods to be coded in, including caching. 

The second part, about shutting down your PC, this was added to our bug list and is getting fixed in the upcoming update.  To summarize, the issue is basically that a PC shutdown isn't cleanly invoking a Dimmdrive shut down, causing a variety issues including what you mentioned.  Updates are free and frequent and I'm excited about this upcoming one :)

Thanks for the feedback!!!

No problem, thanks for letting me know the status of both.

Glad that those are both on your radar as, at the moment, they are my only issues with DIMM Drive. I'm otherwise loving it. Even bought a quad channel 32GB 1600 CAS 7 kit for it - not inexpensive by any means.

CAS7, jesus, can you post some benchmarks using CrystalDiskMark in the benchmark forums here?  I'd love to see what you're system is benching at for Dimmdrive speeds!