Power

Steam games are not being recognized by dimmdrive

16 posts in this topic

I just purchased Dimmdrive and I can't figure out how to get steam games going.  I tried adding CSGO to the 'other programs' list but I don't know if that works.
This is a screenshot of Dimmdrive on my computer:

And I don't know if this info will help, but I'll put it here anyway.

Dimmdrive Driver: SERVICE_RUNNING
Dimmdrive Helper: SERVICE_RUNNING
Dimmdrive Helper Service: Connected Failed
Server Connection: Server returned status OK (200)
Total detected Steam games: 5 Found
Detected by type A: 5 Found
Detected by type B: None Found

Counter-Strike: Global Offensive
Installed (7.3 GB)
Type A Detection: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Counter-Strike Global Offensive
Type B Detection: 

DayZ
Installed (5.7 GB)
Type A Detection: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\DayZ
Type B Detection: 

Dota 2
Installed (7.9 GB)
Type A Detection: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\dota 2 beta
Type B Detection: 

Garry's Mod
Installed (3.6 GB)
Type A Detection: F:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\GarrysMod
Type B Detection: 

Natural Selection 2
Installed (Empty)
Type A Detection: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Natural Selection 2
Type B Detection: 

Thanks

Richardgode likes this

Hey there,

Try renaming your config.vdf file in your Steam install directory.  This will force Steam to re-build it.  Make sure you close DD first.  Then do this.  Then wait maybe 5 mins for Steam to rebuild it.  Then Restart DD!

Create c:\log   and then restart Dimmdrive.  Then close Dimmdrive and go into the Dimmdrive log locatedi n the new directory.  Can you paste that please?

Just out of curiosity, why isn't that folder created by dimmdrive? It could either happen on installation or when something goes wrong I guess.

Of course

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Dimmdrive started

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Found Steam path in 32bit Registry: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Opened config file for processing

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Found Software header

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Found 0 steamapps, with 0 paths.

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Found 0 valid combinations.

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Ordered List of games by directoryname

[2014/01/14 16:45:33] Finished Processing

Hi all, I'm having the exact same issue and it started happening after the latest Steam update. I've uninstalled and reinstalled Dimmdrive and deleted the CONFIG.VDF file in Steam. Nothing seems to work.

Hey guys,

The folder isn't created by default just so you don't get swamped with unnecessary logging.  More of an efficiency thing. 

Couple things:

1. When you deleted your config.vdf, did it recreate itself?
  2. If so, can you open it up in notepad and just browse through it (it is a text file).  Does the config.vdf list all your games like normal?
  3. Create the c:\log folder
  4. Go into %appdata%\Dimmdrive  (on my PC it is C:\Users\admin\AppData\Roaming\Dimmdrive) and delete everything there.  This will make DD re-get info.
  5. Start up DD now and look at the log file.  Is it showing nothing is found, despite you manually reviewing config.vdf and everything looking OK?
  6. Was Dimmdrive working for you before this Steam update?  
  7. Are you using the Steam BETA or the normal one?

If your config.vdf has lots of games, but the Dimmdrive log file shows none, then please let me know and we can take things a couple steps forward.

I'm going to be updating Steam on my gaming (non-BETA) to see if anything is odd for me too.

EDIT:  I just told Steam to update.  Then closed Steam and restarted.  Steam updated.  I deleted my Dimmdrive config stuff.  Started Dimmdrive.  Relogged back in.  All my games are showing up normally / all good.

PS:  While we look at this, you can drag games into the "Other Programs" still.

Hi Tim, the confid.vdf file is mostly a bunch of numbers. I'm not sure whether this is correct or not, so I cannot verify. As for DIMMDRIVE, the log file is showing 0 games found no matter what I do. I only have 3 games currently installed on Steam. If you need me to send you something, please let me know.

Can you send me the dimmdrive log file please to  tim  (@%)  dimmdrive.com?  

EDIT:   EVERYBODY who is having this issue, please do this:

1. Close Dimmdrive
  2. Close Steam  (end task in task manager to confirm)
  3. Create c:\log folder
  4. Rename your steam config.vdf  to something like backup_config.vdf
  5. Restart Steam - Wait 5 minutes - verify that config.vdf was rebuilt by steam
  6. Start Dimmdrive - Wait 1 minute
  7. Send me an email with 2 files to  tim (@@@)  dimmdrive.com
    1. Open up the c:\Log\dimmdrive  log file
      1. --- Be sure to include what games show up in Dimmdrive  VS how many games you have in steam (Eg, 0 games show up in DD, I have 43 games in Steam INSTALLED)
    2. Make a copy of your config.VDF, open it up in Notepad.exe, search for "Decryption" and delete EVERYTHING under that.  This will clean your config file and only leave the games/install paths.  Email me that as well.
      1. This file is normally in your steam directory config folder,  example:  F:\Steam\config   or   C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\config

The Dimmdrive log file will help me figure out what is going on and how I can fix it.

Thanks!

EDITED:  01-16-14 to strip config.vdf and mail me a cleaned version

Hi, I'v completely removed steam and dimmdrive from my computer using revo uninstaller deleting all traces of files. when I install dimmdrive  the install indicator  on service bar only goes half way. the services indicate that its started. I checked the events log with find dimmdrive and nothing turns up. Are people with win 7 just having this problem? The help service appears not to install fully could be a win 7 problem.. Still a great product though. Hope it gets fixed soon as the steam game profle is the icing on the cake.

UPDATE!!

Thanks for the people who sent me their dimmdrive log and config.vdf files (edit out everything below Decrypt).

I think I have found out what is causing the issue!   There is a Dimmdrive update coming with a bunch of new features really soon, maybe 3-5 5-7 days.  I'm adding this Steam detection bug fix to this upcoming build, so hopefully it'll fix this issue + give you guys some fun new features!

In the meantime:  Just drag the Steam game from the Steamapps folder into the "Other Programs" of Dimmdrive until this is fixed.  It shouldn't be too long for this update.

As always, ALL Dimmdrive updates are free to all users, so stay tuned!

any news on the update ?  just fresh installed my pc and would be nice to have the steamgames back in the spot where they should be ;)

was thinking to get more ram since my 16 Gb aint enough to store arma III in f.e. i added it among other prgrms in the Custom loadout but as i said would be nice to have dimmdrive working like intended ;)

Im trying more people to convince to get this tool but as long i can not show them how easy it "normally" works they are not convinced yet.. 

Also i asked about some referral options maybe since its kinda pricey for some to just "try it out" and would be nice to get motivated by the creator : :D