Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shiroe

Flash Player in Dimmdrive?

5 posts in this topic

Since I'm a lot on youtube and twitch I wondered if it's possible to load the flash player with dimmdrive? Does it even make sense to do that?

I played around a little with no success so far.

I think following folders/files are related:

Start > Run:

C:\Windows\SysWOW64\Macromed\Flash
%appdata%\Adobe\Flash Player
%appdata%\Macromedia\Flash Player

Any ideas/opinions?

I doubt this will really increase your performance much, DimmDrive is used to speed up loading of things from a HDD, like texture streaming in game (where you quickly load textures in and out) or on loading screens.

What could speed things up however is to load your browser and or cache in DimmDrive, but streaming video is a lot more dependant on your CPU and Internet connection and will probably only have minimal load on HDD

http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/19-ordered-the-2nd-12gb-ram-kit-chrome/#entry40

Well, if the Flash player utilizes a cache to hold things, then it might speed it up, but I really don't know enough about how flash works.

You could probably figure it out by doing the disk IO figuring out that people are doing with games.

That being said, when I look at my task manager, the flash player seems to bloat when I use it, making me think it doesn't use cache and just RAM, so a ramdisk wouldn't matter.

BUT

Running chrome/firefox for example in Dimmdrive is amazing, as browsers utilize a lot of cache.

Putting the entire of the Chrome AppData folder onto DD improved my browsing, especially youtube and stuff like that (but I may be using the html5 youtube player).

Putting the entire of the Chrome AppData folder onto DD improved my browsing, especially youtube and stuff like that (but I may be using the html5 youtube player).

Yea it rocks.

The next DD build will have some of this functionality built-in and I'm pretty excited for it!

xiohexia likes this