Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
rockjock51

Better Steam Library Handling

7 posts in this topic

Seems like a better way to handle Steam Libraries would be to create a list of games that the user has and then check for updates/removals to that list next time DD launches.  As it stands right now, it takes a fair bit of time for DD to pick up my entire library.  375 games takes quite a while to populate.  I can only imagine it's worse for people with more.

I also wouldn't mind a better way to see my Steam library since it does contain so many titles.  Seeing three at a time doesn't work so well when you have hundreds of games.  Maybe some kind of popup window that can be clicked where all games are listed without graphics if your library goes above 100 or some other number?  Maybe even make that number user configurable.

Something similar to the way that steam looks in "List View" might work.  Replace the favorites (star) column with an on/off switch and replace the Cloud column with a wrench for settings.  You could keep the status column to show what is on and what is off.  Heck, even keep the Metacritic column if you want to be fancy.  A column similar to the last played would also be handy.  Last time we used DD on this game.  Have the list be sortable by any column and you've got yourself a fine UI.

Of course this is all design talk and you can't just use the Steam client or UI, but you get the idea.

e8yJqjv.png

Richardgode likes this

Hey there!

Yup we've had that feedback a couple times and it is going into the completely new GUI design of Dimmdrive coming in the future :)   I would say it is 4-ish weeks out, and we have another Dimmdrive release coming first  (weekish).

Just wanted to throw in my own two cents to say that I am highly anticipating the new GUI.

Any chance of a preview image or better idea of what to expect?

If it looks anything at all like that it would be a phenomenal improvement.  Doubly so if the window can be resized for a larger view, unlike the current version.

Honestly at the moment I rarely use Dimmdrive just because of the hassle of having to scroll sideways through my hundreds-large library every time I want to change the loaded game(s).  A change like this would probably promote it to everyday usage.

Semi-related: Will there be any sort of caching of the library contents?  Often the rescan of the library when Dimmdrive is initially opened takes several times longer than just waiting for whatever game I wanted to play to load normally off the HDD would've.

Semi-related: Will there be any sort of caching of the library contents?  Often the rescan of the library when Dimmdrive is initially opened takes several times longer than just waiting for whatever game I wanted to play to load normally off the HDD would've.

Quick note about the caching:  Yes to your direct answer (such as scan once, and allow the option to rescan on button click) as well as a faster way to scan.  Definitely on the table!