RichardDeWashington

Some questions before I buy DimmDrive

8 posts in this topic

Hi, I'm very interested by DimmDrive. I have some questions though:

• Can I use it both at home and at work? Do I need to create several accounts?
  • One major interest for me is Google Chrome. I've already tried ImDrive with another software for symlinking, and it worked sometimes, but I had to manually recreate the Cache folder from time to time, etc... Too much hassle.
    If DimmDrive can take care of that for me, it's perfect.
    But if I drag & drop it to DimmDrive, what will be accelerated exactly, only the .exe or the cache folder as well?
  • (optional) How easy is it to skin it? One part of my job is graphic design, and I'd like to tinker with it a bit. If I sent my designs to you (for free), would it be easy for you or other users to you to integrate them?

Thanks a lot. Can't wait to try it.

I can only answer your Chrome questions, not sure about the others.

If you drag a folder, instead of the the .exe file, into the "Other Programs" section then you can drag both the Chrome program (for a minor speed boost) and the Chrome AppData folder where the cache is (for a major speed boost). Any files or folders you sync to DD will be sync'd back along with any changes made once you turn DD off. In fact changes are sync'd in realtime to the HDD so there will be no loss of data.

The next version of dimmdrive (it's been a long time coming though) will have something built in for Chrome and Firefox that will allow selective deletion of files (like cache) when quitting DD.

RichardDeWashington likes this

I don't think DD is tied to the computer but rather your account. so I'm pretty sure if you close it at home and open it at work everything should be fine. as for running two sessions, I can't be positive, but it works on one computer so I would think it would work on two.

your chrome question was answered (and it really is awesome how fast chrome is in DD)

right now it can't be skinned, there is a thread about it: http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/146-just-curious-any-programmers-or-graphic-designers-in-the-crowd/ where it would seem that Tim is working with IceBadger to get a new skin going. I've asked Tim to expose the art assets of the program so we can tinker with them, but he doesn't seem too keen on this, at least at the present time.

OK, I'm used to speed (SSD, 16GB of ram, fiber internet, etc, etc), but this is just crazy. Best purchase I've ever made.

The creator should think about selling it to people in the design, 3d, movie industry also. I've never, ever seen Photoshop load so fast.

These applications are ram-hungry but nowadays graphic cards handle a lot of the load anyway.

I'm amazed.

welcome to the fold, let us know if you have any more questions, we'll try and answer them =)

those are good ideas, I wonder if video editing would benefit from DD, I may have to investigate this

It definitely helps with video editing, well at least if you are working with massive files, like uncompressed .AVI, depends also a lot on the tool, I know most of the Adobe Suite cache a lot in your ram (as much as you allow) so when scrubbing its usually not very HDD intensive, I do not think Sony Vegas does this though, so you might get a boost there, especially if you work with multiple video/audio streams cutting things together (like something like a RoosterTeeth lets play, where its 6 streams, about an hour long, could be hundreds of gigabyte in size)