Tim

coming soon
[EDIT: This is released!] Coming Soon: Ability to Dimmdrive a game larger than the size of your Dimmdrive!

33 posts in this topic

No, Screwyluie I don't believe in magic and no need to be so condescending.  The dat file that has the bulk of GW2 is essentially a big zip file. You might consider that in the future.  I had hoped that Tim had played with GW2 some and was knowledgeable of the internal file structure and possible solutions to the problem. I understand how dimmdrive operates currently.

Don't let the fact that I have few posts here be any indicator of my knowledge. This is a subject that I had brought up during one of Tim's Twitch casts. It is apparent that when I talked about a dynamic loading of the file I should perhaps stated it differently to better indicate that I wasn't talking of multiple files but a single monolithic file and would have had I known that he hadn't looked at the install of GW2. 

Is there any way you can extract this giant file, like u used to be able to do with world of warcraft?

The gw2 launcher quite possibly is running as diskdoubler in the old days only with a manifest built into it of what files can be compressed and what ones can't as well as having a CRC to check for tampering.  That or simply as a measure against hacking.  The benefits of having the game structured like this would lend it's self to a greater risk of corruption I would think but then who knows what exactly is going on in a development house other than the employees there. I haven't experimented yet with analyzing the file as I was thinking that I would simply add another 16gb of ram to my system. When I get home I'll see if I have anything that might crack open the file and allow any meaningful details be gleaned from the operation.  

No, Screwyluie I don't believe in magic and no need to be so condescending.  The dat file that has the bulk of GW2 is essentially a big zip file. You might consider that in the future.  I had hoped that Tim had played with GW2 some and was knowledgeable of the internal file structure and possible solutions to the problem. I understand how dimmdrive operates currently.

Don't let the fact that I have few posts here be any indicator of my knowledge. This is a subject that I had brought up during one of Tim's Twitch casts. It is apparent that when I talked about a dynamic loading of the file I should perhaps stated it differently to better indicate that I wasn't talking of multiple files but a single monolithic file and would have had I known that he hadn't looked at the install of GW2. 

had you been more informative in your original post, perhaps you would've gotten better help... but enough of that i have dealt with you in private... back to the task at hand.

it's a bit more complicated then just a zip file, this huge .dat file you're referring to. I'll save you the trouble of figuring it out, here's a tool http://www.fileswap.com/dl/QGoqRH3SK9/GW2Tools.zip.html the second file in that archive is for changing the textures into a readable format ie: png instead of the ATEX format they're in.

in order to size down GW2 you've have to rely on an exploit in the way it runs, if one exists. for instance if GW2 procedurally unpacked the .dat file to get the items it needs and stored them in a temp folder during use, you could have that folder sym linked into a ram drive.

short of finding a loophole like that, i don't think you'll be reducing the size of the ram drive needed to load GW2.

and you'll forgive me if this post is infact a little condescending, you've kinda ticked me off... it's meant to be helpful, nothing more.

anymore questions?

Yes I had found that post already on http://www.guildwars2guru.com/topic/83856-answered-clientdata-mining-and-extraction/

If it is treating it as an archive then perhaps there could be something written that could shove more of the textures into memory depending on how GW2 reads the file. If it treats it as a virtual drive vs an archive. 

so i've been monitoring the GW2.exe and it reads and writes directly to the dat file, it does use a couple of temp folders but they are for small files such as cookies, nothing larger then a couple megs.

I'm going to say it uses the dat file to pull info into to memory directly, no unpacking, no virtual store....

I think you're just out of luck on how much ram it will take. I don't see any way around it, perhaps Tim will have a trick up his sleeve though, we'll have to wait for him to chime in.

Well that would figure. Guess I have to get another 16gb kit if I continue to play this game and decide to get competitive in it. 

Has this been incorporated into DimmDrive?  I just bought DD and attempted to add Battlefield 4 and I got this message: "The size of the games you currently have enabled for use with DimmDrive exceed the drive size. Your current configured drive is 9.9 GB, while the games you have enabled would use 25.18.GB. Please reconfigure the activated games to fit the drive."

Does this mean the Ability to DimmDrive a game larger than the size of you Dimmdrive has not happened yet? Just bough my copy yesterday 11/14/13.

Anyone else have this issue?

Hey there!

This was added a bit ago.  Click the WRENCH for your game entry in Dimmdrive and you'll see this:

NBdPG3Q.png

Enable the  "Less RAM?"  option.  Then click Configure and you'll see this:

9iv1HOj.png

Then you select the files that you want to go UBER fast.   Select the game data files, not the .exe or such.   Once you have it right, then click the Submit and then turn the game ON.  Make sure your Dimmdrive is set to the size that is correct, and it must be at or above the size that is reported in the screenie above.

Check out http://youtube.com/dimmdrive  there are some videos on just this :)