Tim

coming soon
[EDIT: This is released!] Coming Soon: Ability to Dimmdrive a game larger than the size of your Dimmdrive!

33 posts in this topic

I'm excited to announce that we are working on a great feature update to Dimmdrive:  The ability to dimmdrive a game that is larger than the actual size of the Dimmdrive that you're using!

For example:   Let's say you're playing World of Warcraft and your PC has 16GB of RAM total.

World of Warcraft =  22 GB (on my system at least)

Your 16GB of RAM gives you about 11.5GB of usable Dimmdrive space.   (1.5 for WoW, 3 for OS, tweak as needed)

Because 22 is greater than 10, you wouldn't be able to Dimmdrive World of Warcraft.

Well, in this update, you'll be able to do just that!

The way this update will work is it empowers you with the ability to selectively choose which files you want to Dimmdrive for any particular game or program.  Again, back to World of Warcraft.  

The main files in WoW that require lots of disk speed/IO are:

• Your Interface directory (for all your addons)
  • The specific MPQ files you need accessing (in the Data folder)

WoW has a lot of useless data files.  For example, lots of cinematics, update base files, update cache files, etc.  Those files don't need to run fast because you don't really use them.  What you DO need are the expansionX.mpq, model/texture/world MPQ files.

So with this Dimmdrive update, you'll be able to intelligently select specific files that you need to go blazing fast, and skip that files that can run normal.  With the above information, you can shrink your Dimmdrive down to around 7 - 11 GB VS 22!  That's half the size for nearly the same speed gains.  

I anticipate having this new feature in its initial roll-out completed in a week or less!  As always, this update will be free to all Dimmdrive users.

Oh, and you want the ability to manually do symbolic links to folders/files of your choosing and still have them be sync'd automatically?  You got it - that's coming in this update as well! 

coachherb likes this

This is going to be awesome.  I am ordering another 16GB and upgrading to W8 Pro to use this program.  It's a lot of fun and absurdly fast.  Can't wait to try out some larger games.

Heck yea, it's going to be awesome.  

We've been making some really good progress, so much so that we're adapting this new way of doing things into part of the core of our code.  Things are looking good!

Hey all:

2 notes:

The method we've developed for larger games (Eg, 20G) to work with smaller Dimmdrives (Eg. 8G) is actually working so well that we are swapping some internal processes to set this new method as "default" for how things are loaded into the Dimmdrive.  It is taking a bit extra time as I want to make sure the GUI is really easy to use and understand.

I'm hoping Mon or Tues, so still very soon :)

Here is a sneak preview at the GUI as it is being developed.  Some of the features are taking a bit more time than initially thought (I like to bite off more than I can chews), however, awesomeness will be forthcoming as fast as we can crank things out.  Based on what is left to code, I'd say we are 2-4 days out.

Ignore the roughness as things aren't fully implemented for the screenshot :)

haB4YZU.png

So this will be like a SymLink?

Except DimmDrive does it for you.

You just point to the data file you need, let DimmDrive do the work.

Then play your game.

So this will be like a SymLink?

Except DimmDrive does it for you.

You just point to the data file you need, let DimmDrive do the work.

Then play your game.

Well sort of.  This particular feature will be a symlink, but it is wrapped into Dimmdrive, so that means ramdrive + game integration + drag/drop adding into Dimmdrive + file synchronization + game optimization (this is a huge deal).

So yea, Symlink + whole lot more :)

Nisco,

I like the name, sort of like Cisco (as in, Cisco Systems).

The upcoming version is proving to be quite the difficult bugger to program, but we are working away hard on it and will have it done as fast as we can :)

It has inspired me to create a sort of formalized build schedule.  I have a few ideas, and after this upcoming release, I'm going to create a sort of "This is coming in the next version, this in the one after" type of system where people can submit bugs, submit feature requests, etc.

Still a WIP, but I'm super excited.  The feedback people having given is amazing.  There are a LOT of things going to be added over time!

I'm trying to use dimmdrive with Guild Wars2 with 16gb of ram but so far I can't really do much as the gw2.dat file is more than 17gb.  I'm guessing the 10004 doesn't do dynamic loading of that file yet. Any idea when it will be able to work with it? 

Version 10004 was already released.   The minimum drive requirement is the size of at least 1 file.  If GW2 packs it into all 1 file, which is almost unheard of in a game, then you'd need a size equiv to that file.

i think he's expecting DD to auto-magically shrink the amount of ram it needs for a given game.

in reality you have to choose the files manually in the DD interface.

as for GW2, yeah it's all packed in one file, which makes DD kinda useless unless you got the much ram to give up.

No, Screwyluie I don't believe in magic and no need to be so condescending.  The dat file that has the bulk of GW2 is essentially a big zip file. You might consider that in the future.  I had hoped that Tim had played with GW2 some and was knowledgeable of the internal file structure and possible solutions to the problem. I understand how dimmdrive operates currently.

Don't let the fact that I have few posts here be any indicator of my knowledge. This is a subject that I had brought up during one of Tim's Twitch casts. It is apparent that when I talked about a dynamic loading of the file I should perhaps stated it differently to better indicate that I wasn't talking of multiple files but a single monolithic file and would have had I known that he hadn't looked at the install of GW2.