Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Jibberish

Another Neat Idea

4 posts in this topic

Here is my current setup.  I have a laptop with 16 GB of RAM, an internal 256 GB SSD, and an external USB 3.0 1TB drive that gets about 60MBps on a good day.  I have almost all my games installed on the external drive and basically use Dimmdrive to host them while I play.  Since I only have about 12 GB of available RAM to play with, that leaves me with either slow performance or having to very carefully select certain files when I want to play certain games.

My feature request is the following,

Is there any way to make a persistent folder on the SSD so that I can select the files I want to go to the Dimmdrive, and then automatically cache all of the remaining files to that SSD automagically? When Dimmdrive closes it doesn't even have to delete those SSD files (Hence the usage of the word persistent) and so the next time I want to play the game it only loads the necessary files into the RAM drive and if necessary updates the ones on the SSD.

Essentially a primary and secondary Dimmdrive with the SSD being the secondary.

Or some version of that process anyway...

OK, thanks and I love the program!

P.S. Very much looking forward to the list option. ;)

Hey there!

That is exactly what Dimmdrive does with the USB3 Turbo option.  With cheap USB3 flash drives getting 150-200MB/s, this is a great way to basically cache data for Dimmdrive reloading on a USB disk without the need for a SSD.

Give it a try, see if that is what you mean (but SSD for cache).

Well it doesn't let me choose my c:\ SSD from that list, it seems to only enumerate the USB devices.

Correct, it is for USB3 disks only.  What I meant was to see if what the current feature is for USB3 disks as described (there is also a Youtube video explaining it) is what you are mentioning but with SSD.