CHT

Le Random Feature Request

8 posts in this topic

In the future, I do hope to see the program being able to update without having to re-install the whole thing. As it is currently though, it's pretty good.

The reason for the reinstall is because Dimmdrive isn't just a fancy looking front-end software.  It is a  Windows service, as well as a kernel-mode driver.  These are very "low level" and require reboots to Windows when modifications take place.  

At some point if we are just updating the GUI, that could be done without a reboot.  As it stands, with all the new things being added, new reinstalls is needed.  Fear now though, all the new features is a good thing!

I really wonder how the AVs manage to update without having to re-install though. I believe they also have services and kernel-mode drivers.  

Indeed. Thanks for reading, and replying.

AVG Complains if you do not restart after a few updates, some you may go without, some require it.

I do think an auto updater would be neat, just a one click button that would download, un-install the necessary files, install the new update, then prompt for a restart (or let you manually do it later, but not function)

That would be what I was intending to push for, IceBadger. As long as I don't have to get rid of all the program files to install the new feature, this program will be the best out there, even more than the regular RAMDrives, which we already kind of are.

I was actually just writing up the same thing as a suggestion. All you'd have to do is add a version field to the login web request and if the login server's version does not match DDs compile version ask the user to update. More flexibility could be added as well to force updates, restart the computer, make registry changes, etc... A good idea would be to make the updater a separate program this way services and processes could be stopped without getting errors pertaining to a certain file being used.

Yup, right now Dimmdrive does do a version check, which it shows if you have an old version instead of the news window in the top left area of DD.  Our next step is to add a nice way to smoothly update.

It will come :)