Tim

official benchmark video
Video comparison of World of Warcraft: Dimmdrive vs HD vs SSD

5 posts in this topic

I made a video comparison here of World of Warcraft using Dimmdrive, SSD, and a HD.

I reviewed the 3 HDs based on:

INITIAL LOADING
1. Dimmdrive: 2.398 sec
2. SSD:  3.413 sec
3. Mech: 8.040 sec

CHARACTER SELECT
1: Dimmdrive
2: SSD
3: Mech

ENTER WORLD
1: Dimmdrive
2: SSD
3: Mech

SMOOTHNESS

1. Dimmdrive wins out by far.

Have fun watching :)

Something to note here too is that my PC is a ridiculously monster PC, and 1x WoW really struggles to use this PC's computing resources.  So for systems that aren't so beefy, I think the differences would be spotted even more.

Quick note:  I'll be doing more of these videos in the future, especially after bug fixes and adding extra features stop turning into 20 hour work days :)

We need more of these. I think people will be more inclined to buy when it's clear in which situations there's a clear advantage to using DD.

Btw the multiboxing setup is perfect for comparisons. 

The advantage is clear for people who don't have SSDs but not so clear if they do.

A big thing to note, too, is that when people do game loads, that have to really look at a lot of things:

• Have they loaded the game a ton?  The windows superfetch is all over it.  Once they load a different game, that super fetch for the prior game gets wiped.
  • How are they configuring Dimmdrive?
  • Have they left ample RAM for the game?
  • Is the game itself capable of using the high speeds?  Eg, Solitaire won't use it for example :)

I think the argument to get a SSD, or to get tons of RAM, is easy when you have a solid ramdrive.   I much rather have 32/64G ram than 8G ram and a 256G SSD.

DD + more RAM is a solid option instead of an SSD, but many people already have gotten an SSD because they haven't even heard about ramdisks.