Ivan

My loading times don't budge

21 posts in this topic

So I've tried loading levels in games and compared the loading times between my SSD and Dimmdrive and there was no difference, whatsoever.

I've tried with Batman Arkham City, Unreal Tournament 3, Tower Wars and Torchlight 2.

It doesn't matter whether the load time is 3 or 30 seconds, they are identical between running from SSD and from Dimmdrive.

I don't understand how there's no difference at all.

Sure, no problem

So I installed DD, then I rebooted, then I started it, I've set the size to 7.

Then I activate the little colored button on the game, so it says "ON", then I activate DD with the big button, wait for the game to be copied onto the RAMDisk, then I start the game.

I've tried starting the game either by clicking it in DD or by clicking the "Open Drive" button and starting the executable myself.

I've tried just clicking the on button on a steam game (Tower Wars), or just some texture files (with Batman Arkham City) via the wrench Icon and then using the "Less Ram?" feature to select the texture files which were often used (someone posted a screenshot of his Processmonitor after playing Batman Arkham City for a while).
I've also tried putting the whole game folder on the DD (with Torchlight 2, which doesn't appear in my "Steam Games" window for some reason and I've tried selecting just the exe in "Other Programs". 

I've always paid attention to activating the game in DD before activating DD itself (i.e. at least 2 green "ON" buttons).

CPU: i5-2500K

GPU: Gigabyte GT 760 4GB
Motherboard: ASUS P8Z68-V Pro

SSDs: OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB for the OS+Programs and Samsung 840 120 GB for the games
RAM: TeamGroup Elite 2x4GB and Corsair XMS3 2x4GB both DDR3-1333

Arkham City and Unreal tournament should definitely benefit from Dimmdrive, and i believe torchlight should as well. (I don't know Tower wars, so cannot judge that at all)

What Videocard do you have, and what quality are you running these games on?

I'm also not having any difference in load time (well when I load games with Dimmdrive they are actually .5 seconds slow but that could just be human error or what my computer is doing in the background at the time.)  Is it possible that my computer is so bad ass that dimmdrive can't do anything?  I know that's not true but if anyone has a suggestion please say so, because otherwise I will be asking for a refund.

• What I did was I installed Dimmdrive restarted logged in and when it opened I switched Borderlands 2  on in the steam games section, using the more ram option so it loaded the entire game folder into ram, and then enabled dimmdrive and waited for it to load everything into ram and then launched borderlands 2 from steam.  I did this exactly with all the games I tested.  All games were tested with all graphics setting turn up to max.

here were the results from timing load times using a timer separate from my computer so as to not possibly add more variables as to why it wasn't speeding up.

• team fortress 2 (from clicking start practice in the offline practice section to just after the load screen)
    without dimmdrive:  15.470 sec
    with dimmdrive:       16.267 sec
    difference:               -0.797 sec

skyrim (from clicking resume at the main menu to the game fully loading just outside of Whiterun)
    without dimmdrive:   8.520 sec
    with dimmdrive:        9.180 sec
    difference:              -0.660 sec

Civ 5 (from clicking run with direct X 10&11 to the main menu fully loading skipping only the opening animation always right at the beginning)
    without dimmdrive:    34.713 sec
    with dimmdrive:         36.810 sec
    difference:                 -2.000 sec the only thing that might not be counted with in the margin of error

civ 5 (from clicking play game for setting up a random game to when the character bio starts sliding to the center of the screen)
    without dimmdrive:   20.640 sec
    with dimmdrive:        20.707 sec
    difference:                -0.067 sec I think this is just solely the possessor chugging to create a map I think it already has everything in ram
  • hardware specs
Windows 8.1 Professional
intel 3770k @3.5GHz
ASRock Z77 Extreme4
32 GB of ram
geforce 660 TI (just one, no SLI)
500GB 7200RPM SATA 3 HDD for the OS and programs (not including games)
2TB 7200RPM SATA 3 HDD for personal data and games

I wouldn't think it was possible to slow down load times by using dimmdrive :/

What ram are you using? Also how much ram?

You said you're putting the entire game in ram but if this takes up the majority of your ram then your games are going to have a bad time.

I'm not saying that dimmdrive is slowing down my computer, because I'm manually starting and stopping the stopwatch that I used it might just be that I don't start/stop it exactly at the same time every time, or my computer is doing something in the background that could slow it down.

I have 4x 8GB sticks for a total of 32GB of ram

they are corsair vengeance

here's a link to the corsair page if you want more: http://www.corsair.com/en/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-16gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cmz16gx3m2a1600c10.html

and while running the game the amount of free ram never dipped below 6GB(and that was only Skyrim that it got so close everything else had 13GB+ left), so that includes Dimmdrive loading the game into ram, the ram that the game needs to run and the ram used by everything that was running in the background, after all that using ram the amount of ram free never dropped below 6GB.

SSD's are very fast and the difference between them and your ram is going to be a lot smaller than a traditional HDD. However, if you have the ram to spare, it's going to extend the life of your SSD if you load the games in a RAM drive instead of copying them to the SSD, save the SSD for the bigger games that don't fit in your ram drive (and of course other stuff)

also loading something like chrome/firefox into dimmdrive will help a lot since they write so much to the disc, these are the things that are going to wear it out faster

I'll be honest, since buying my SSD I've barely opened DD :/ It was sooo fast compared to my HDD but from my SSD I'm never waiting for Chrome to start up or anything so there's no need.

I'd say that the decrease in performance is probably just experimental error. If you ran each test 10 times on SSD and 10 times on RAM then it only makes sense for RAM to be as fast or faster.

I used to have an SSD, but it finally gave out, right after I installed dimmdrive, I had also just recently installed an extra 16GB of ram and a 3TB HDD.  It was on it's last legs and was defective from the start and when my computer froze the hard reboot killed it.  I had a funeral service where I BURNED THAT SUCKER FOR NOT WORKING LONG ENOUGH FOR ME TO GET A LIST OF PROGRAMS I HAD INSTALLED.

Oh, so you're saying that you're not seeing an improvement from a mechanical HDD to Dimmdrive? That's really odd, it should be a vast improvement.

I'll try and test the couple of games you mentioned above, but I don't have as much ram as you so I might have to use the LESS RAM option :(

Have you tried to run a benchmark test with CrystalDiskMark and see if there is any speed difference there? If not maybe your RAM is poorly configured in BIOS or defective.

In a game like Skyrim/Fallout it went from taking a few seconds to transition from indoors/outdoors to being close to instant (blink or very quick fade)

I'm having the same issue.  It looks like dimmdrive is loading the game, but the game is still running off my hard disk.  When I go into steam and click "browse local files" it still opens the C: path, not the Z: path, even after dimmdrive is turned on.

I've tried fallout 4 and mass effect 1, and both have no appreciable change in load times.

Intel core i7-4900MQ  8x 2.8 GHZ
32 GB RAM
Win 7 64-bit
GeForce GTX 770M

Any suggestions?  This is true both whether I start the game in steam, or using the rocket icon.

I replied to your other post about this just now.

http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/1589-no-improvement-in-h1z1/

I also just thought of this. When you make the Dimmdrive, keep an eye on it. Right at the end if the menu pauses for a few seconds when it's at 100% copying, go ahead and read it and make sure it doesn't say anything like "Couldn't create symbolic links"

I just ran into this problem yesterday with Civilization 5.

I haven't found a fix yet because it is an issue with Windows 10 (and apparently 8 and 8.1) that has something to do with the NTFS file permissions.

There is no way of fixing it yet either sadly, but I haven't given up yet.

I've tried 4 different games, all have the same problem.  The marquee says "symbolic links created" when it's done, so that's not the problem.  I've tried reinstalling dimmdrive: no change.  I've also tried disabling the option for file synchronization, also no change.

None of the games that I've tried have worked.  I don't have any crazy security stuff on my computer that would prevent file moving, the only non-stock AV I'm running is bitdefender and it doesn't seem to care about the changes dimmdrive is making.

Yeah, really old thread, just providing feedback....

DIMMDRIVE moves the game files you choose to RAM, maybe it's all the game files, but, it's really not.  You see, when the game runs it's making calls to many supporting programs that have nothing to do with the game.  Many of these are the O/S directly(i.e. Directx, file packing/depacking, audio stream, etc).  So although you "think" the entire game is running from DIMMDRIVE, it's really not.  If you installed your O/S on a pretty quick SSD or such, that will be better.  If your O/S is hampered by a mediocre drive, well, unfortunately that's that.

I learned this a few years back while doing some of my own in depth stuff similar to RAMDRIVE (using batch files instead).  I saw tons of queries to my C Drive when running games, so although I had a decent SSD, it's still nowhere close to RAM speed (lol, Last Starfighter quote and I didn't even intend it)