Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
slowbro69

My HDD/SSD/RAM Benchmark

5 posts in this topic

Can someone explain to me why the write speed is always faster than the read speed?

I understand that RAM is technically very different from persistent memory but it seems somewhat counter-intuitive.

With most things in computing, writing is usually faster than reading, its just easier to put things in a place compared to searching for all the right things and taking them out. (In very basic terms, having a bucket of red sand poured into a larger bucket of blue sand is easy, taking all that red sand out again is not :P )

Um, except for every other form of memory I tested, like HDD, SSD, USB1/2/3 thumbdrive, CD, DVD, Blueray, stone tablets, cave drawings, peeing my name in snow...

Edit: Well in most cases anyway, different filesizes are processed on different media with varying degrees of efficiency.

Can someone explain to me why the write speed is always faster than the read speed?

I understand that RAM is technically very different from persistent memory but it seems somewhat counter-intuitive.

I would assume it takes more CPU operations to read than to write, but my ASM knowledge is virtually nil.