Gammro

Trying to get the maximum out of my system

15 posts in this topic

Hey guys, 

My system is about 3 years old now(I think).

- AMD Phenom II X6 1055T

- ATI Radeon HD5850

- 4x 2GB DDR3-1333 (8GB total)

When I ran the benchmarks, I got this:

FmWTGjt.png

Now, this is still a major improvement. But it's by far the lowest results I've seen. Other people with DDR3-1333 get about 2 times as much out of it,

My RAM is running in dual channel, and it's 2 sets of Kingston  KVR1333D3N9K2/4G, Which isn't the fastest kit available, but I'd imagine it would come closer to other DDR3-1333 sets.

Does anyone know what can be done to make it even faster?

well it's a lower clock speed which is going to impact the scores. also what are the timings? because those can have a huge impact, especially the CAS timing. Then there's stuff on the motherboard itself that can't be changed which could bottleneck the ram, and last but not least the CPU itself can have an effect on ram speeds... there's just so many variables...

I normally would say that is low, because I've seen gen1 i7s with 1333mhz @ 8/8/8 doing 6-7000MB/s, but then I saw you're running AMD. I honestly know zero about how AMD has their bus/lane architecture, so I really haven't a clue :0

Best bet is to download CPU-Z, check your ram settings listed, and confirm that is the spec for your actual hardware. If not, BIOS time!

I checked my timings, and found they are all up to specification, I even checked with the datasheet from Kingston.

I did go into the BIOS and saw that FSB:DRAM ratio could be increased. but I wasn't sure if that would do my system any good or harm it.(I'll have to look into that tomorrow)

.2PsaV7F.png

that is weird... I wonder what the limiting factor is here, why is AMD + ram so much slower? must know more...

i researched this and apparently they don't have very good ram controllers since there is a north bridge in the cpu itself as well as on the motherboard... it seems like the higher i have the speed of the cpu nb the faster the ram goes... but ive got it going 2400mhz and the cpu doing 4.5ghz and its still damn awful... (still a fuckton faster than an ssd tho!) I'll test out later if i can get it any higher...

I tried some benchmarking a few days ago and I saw a 10-20% difference with 2gb memory usage (out of 32), 10% cpu (and probably a little disk io) just from running skype, dropbox and chrome (VS close to nothing)

I guess what I'm concluding is that the results for crystal disk mark vary alot from small changes. CDM might also not work optimal with AMD.

I tried some benchmarking a few days ago and I saw a 10-20% difference with 2gb memory usage (out of 32), 10% cpu (and probably a little disk io) just from running skype, dropbox and chrome (VS close to nothing)

I guess what I'm concluding is that the results for crystal disk mark vary alot from small changes. CDM might also not work optimal with AMD.

passmark gave me similar results... I think its really just an AMD limitation.