Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
xiohexia

GPU RAM

8 posts in this topic

Just wondering if this crazy hairballed idea is even worth asking about.

Would it be even remotely possible to be able to put a dimmdrive on your GPU's RAM?

I currently have two 4gb 670's... and since gddr5 is quite faster than ddr3... it would be neat to see how fast we could go lol

can the system even directly access the card's ram? I always thought it was a closed system.

that would be interesting to see the benchmarks if nothing else

I know that you can do stuff through CUDA with it... So I wasn't sure what all was possible.

I'm still on the fence about ddr4 and it's supposed improvements, I'll wait for the benchmarks before I add it to my next build

if you hadn't notice ram is very particular to me... I'm very fond of my ddr3 1600 9-9-9 ram... everything else so far has been disappointing, I'm hoping this new ddr4 will allow me to move on... but then why fix what ain't broke?

Well ddr4 is not a fix to ddr3, its an improvement, supposedly twice the performance and twice the density, so you could see more rigs with 64 gigs, and even 128 gigs of ram, now that would be sweet with dimmdrive.

Well ddr4 is not a fix to ddr3, its an improvement, supposedly twice the performance and twice the density, so you could see more rigs with 64 gigs, and even 128 gigs of ram, now that would be sweet with dimmdrive.

Stop it.  I just built this 64GB system....

WTS i7 3930k RIVE 64GB GTX Titan!

It definitely would be possible, but the problem I think is when the video card tries to go for the vram and something is there.  Not to mention it's such a small amount.

But hold your horses... DDR4 comes out in a few weeks :)

idk i dont think were going to be overly impressed with ddr4... i mean im not overly impressed with ddr3 vs ddr2 even. Granted a 3770k / 1600mhz 8-8-8-24 ram combo seems to pump out 10GB/s is impressive... but thats more the CPU than the RAM itself...