zade420

Service 'Dimmdrive Helper Service' Failed to Start

150 posts in this topic

Error 1920. Service 'Dimmdrive Helper Service' (Dimmdrive Helper) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

MSI (s) (60:90) [18:28:36:308]: Product: Dimmdrive -- Error 1920. Service 'Dimmdrive Helper Service' (Dimmdrive Helper) failed to start. Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

it's a privilege issue. so either your UAC is somehow off normal (did you do something to change window's UAC?) or your account isn't privileged. unless you're on a shared computer that is using group policies? that's another option although not as likely.

I'm still digging into this, but while I do this, enigma and omgpanic, would either of you guys be open to doing a Teamviewer (see teamviewer.com) into your PC so I can poke around with what issues Dimmdrive is having while you watch, and see what I find out?   Friday would work best though my schedule is a bit tight.  Noon to 7pm EST somewhere in there?

Btw, I do appreciate all the feedback from everybody on this bug.  We will nail this :)

Hey Tim! Thanks for continuing to look into the issue, I just hate to see my, and other peoples, money go to waste.

I would be open to trying out Teamviewer with you. Friday wouldn't work for me (i've got work the whole day as well) but possibly sometime after Christmas if the problem hasn't been solved yet.

Real quick: Would you happen to have Evga Precision installed, and/or Rivatuner? Another user in another thread has found that Evga software is causing Dimmdrive to not function. I am still looking into why and trying to replicate it.

Try and remove all traces of it and CC cleaner your PC out.  I've heard from other users that the program is causing issues, and removing it fixed them.

While you're at it, double-check to make sure nothing else is interfering.  For example, temp disable things like FW, AV, or any other programs you have that are non standard from the basic Windows install and see what happens.  This likely includes program launches/monitors which some GFX cards like to do.

hey guys, just a quick update here. I just re-installed my windows (win8.1) as it was have lots of issues, including this one with dimmdrive. after reinstalling, I can confirm that dimmdrive DOES install and work as expected. not sure what it was on my old install that was causing the issue, but at least now we know of one way to fix it :P

I too am having this problem of no 'helper service'. I've resorted to only using dimmdrive as a vanilla ramdisk generator, until a fix is forthcoming.

I remain confident that a solution will be found, as I see the great potential to this software. Even the mighty ASUS are including ramdisk technology to their latest and greatest motherboards; so the limitations of solid state drives are being touted, now that the honeymoon period for ssds is over. I see the use of ramdisks being the norm in the future, with ssds being their 'backup', as HD are the backup to ssds today.

Things I've tried with my win7 64bit install:

AV and firewall off during fresh install.

Launched application as administrator [via shortcut options].

AUC settings: high, medium, and low; all to no avail.

Great news AOTA!

Jimmy, did you do the above steps (such as the net start) and see?  Also, check your event viewer.  Note:  The support tool is a bit out of date, so the not found it shows should be disregarded!

Just a thought... since the 'service' is related to ntfs privelages, according to window's service manager, could it have anything to do with disk management software? For example, I have a Samsung SSD, and I have used Samsung's Magician to set it up. Eset complains mightily when trying to scan Samsung software, as it is password protected.

Anybody else with this issue use Samsung's Magician?

Jimmy, that's an interesting idea.  I myself have Samsung SSDs as well, even on my laptop.

I have a strong feeling the issue is due to some 3rd party software, which makes it very, very hard to troubleshoot since there are nearly an infinite amount of softwares out there.  

I'd be willing to give a $50 Steam Gift card to anybody who can figure out the cause of the issues and the fix for those users who are having the problem (fix likely being uninstall of that software, or something to make it work?).

One idea might be to create a use case in Safe Mode windows, not sure if the helper service and dimmdrive can be started/installed then, but it should disable/remove most other softwares out of the equation.

If it works, try disabling non-microsoft services and auto-starting services untill a culprit is found.

You can chalk up another one to Dimmdrive Helper Service: Connected Failed. I purchased this last night and have been going crazy trying to figure out how to fix it. It isn't detecting my Steam games either. I was so looking forward to trying this out too...

Well, I've figured out the installation problem to get past it not installing because of the helper service error. Sadly I ended up wiping my entire computer and reinstalling Windows 7 from scratch to do it but I suppose if it helps someone else than it was a loss taken not in vain. Anyway, there are two ways I found to get Dimmdrive to install on a computer. I still do not know why as an admin with full administrative rights I had to jump through hoops to actually get an msi to install as an admin and not just error out trying to start the service but that's just how it goes. The first and probably easiest way is to open start and in the search box type "cmd", and when it pops up right click it to run as administrator. Then you type in (without quotes) "msiexec /a dimmdrive.msi".

The second way to do it involved some registry editing but it makes it so you can admin install all .msi files as an admin since apparently even as an admin (at least for me) with full permissions it would not install. You just open start and in search type regedit, open it up and click down to (do not include dashes, they are just there to separate text) - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell - and add the key - runas - then set the default value to - Install &as... - Create another new key in - HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Msi.Package\shell\runas named  - command - and set the default value to - msiexec /i "%1" - which allows you to right click on any and all .msi files and use "Install as..." to install them as an administrator.

I also noticed that previously before wiping my PC while trying to fix the Dimmdrive Helper Service: Connected Failed which I'm still having that before wiping my games drive my steam games were not being detected. After wiping it and reinstalling steam, then downloading two games (Terraria and Borderlands 2) as a test suddenly they started being detected. However once I started to copy over my backed up games drive contents I noticed when Borderlands 2 had been replaced with the old files suddenly it wasn't being detected anymore. I have no idea what the difference is between my freshly installed games and my previously installed games and how/why they are detected, but it was something interesting. Hopefully this information is some what useful.

Now if I can fix the Dimmdrive Helper Service: Connected Failed error I keep seeing when I run the status tool I'd be all set.

The error with the tool can be ignored, just something that hasn't been updated yet.

If you import things over w/o a Steam install, have Steam rebuild your config.VDF by simply renaming it and restarting Steam.  See here:  http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/165-a-rare-reason-dd-might-not-show-your-games/?hl=config.vdf

As far as the reinstall, I've done this a few times now with Win7 and Win8, and each time Dimmdrive shows up just fine.  

The admin rights part are needed simply because Dimmdrive is a kernel level driver, requiring all those popups and whatnot.  Even if you are an admin, which is standard of Windows OS, you still need to click all the prompts to install the driver.  This is why people who mess around with windows ACL and security popups to make their OS non-standard can run into issues.

Glad it is working!

Sorry to revive such an old thread. I had written it off as my OS was screwed. I finally ordered a larger SSD and I'm on a fresh install of Windows 8.1. I'm still having the exact same error.

N0ItFQD.png

I tried both methods above to run the .msi as administrator. I'm out of ideas.

*Edit

Okay so I rebooted and installed it and now it's working. Uhhh

So I'm getting the insufficient privileges to start system services.

Fresh install of Windows 8.1 pro x64. I just built and installed and updated this computer so everything is current. Please help had no issues on my last PC with Windows 8.1

Log Name:      System
Source:        Service Control Manager
Date:          7/2/2014 9:03:27 PM
Event ID:      7045
Task Category: None
Level:         Information
Keywords:      Classic
User:          SYSTEM
Computer:      Game-Rig
Description:
A service was installed in the system.

Service Name:  Dimmdrive Helper Service
Service File Name:  "C:\Program Files (x86)\Dimmdrive\ddservice.exe"  /start 'Dimmdrive Helper'
Service Type:  user mode service
Service Start Type:  auto start
Service Account:  NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM
Event Xml:
  <System>
    <Provider Name="Service Control Manager" Guid="{555908d1-a6d7-4695-8e1e-26931d2012f4}" EventSourceName="Service Control Manager" />
    <EventID Qualifiers="16384">7045</EventID>
    <Version>0</Version>
    <Level>4</Level>
    <Task>0</Task>
    <Opcode>0</Opcode>
    <Keywords>0x8080000000000000</Keywords>
    <TimeCreated SystemTime="2014-07-03T02:03:27.779796500Z" />
    <EventRecordID>1518</EventRecordID>
    <Correlation />
    <Execution ProcessID="716" ThreadID="4112" />
    <Channel>System</Channel>
    <Computer>Game-Rig</Computer>
    <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
  <EventData>
    <Data Name="ServiceName">Dimmdrive Helper Service</Data>
    <Data Name="ImagePath">"C:\Program Files (x86)\Dimmdrive\ddservice.exe"  /start 'Dimmdrive Helper'</Data>
    <Data Name="ServiceType">user mode service</Data>
    <Data Name="StartType">auto start</Data>
    <Data Name="AccountName">NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM</Data>
  </EventData>
</Event>

I had the same problem as listed.  The installer would not start the service, so the installation stalled halfway through.

I tried everything, services, regedit, cmd prompt, reboot uninstall, reboot install, etc etc.

All that I needed to do was install .Net framework 4.5 from microsoft.

After that, install was successful.

I hope that this helps.

I only read the first 3 pages (not the last 2), as I fixed this myself.