Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
IceBadger

Backup/Restore Function

5 posts in this topic

So I did some testing around because people have said things get deleted, and I found out a few things.

To make it clear for people who might not understand how RAM works in a very basic way, RAM can not hold information if it is not powered, compared to a HDD, so if power to RAM is somehow stopped, be that a power outage, you turning off/restarting the machine or a blue screen (can happen easily if you have just the slightest defect in your RAM, since you fill so much of it up).

So what happens if you load in a game, and one of the above things happen; well all the information on the drive is gone and all that is left is a shortcut (symlink) that leads to nowhere, since DimmDrive was unable to shut down properly and was unable to sync files back to their original location it is now gone. Well sort of, there should still be two folders a APP.dd.postSync and APP.dd.presync, these should contain the most recent files and you can copy them back manually to their correct location, and things should work as before.

I did some testing and found that sleep mode and hibernation should not cause issues, though they might still do if used for a long period of time.

My suggestion however would be to make sure that, if something happens and the RAM drive is lost, there needs to be a function to restore things easily, lets say I ran 100 apps in the drive, and then things crashed, well it will be a whole lot of work to copy 200 folders back to their original location, spread over multiple drives and locations. But if DimmDrive kept track of what has been run, and where it all is, then if a failure happens, a Restore from Crash button that moved everything for you would be very helpful.

A backup function could also be neat, a way to backup everything before you run it, zip it down and make DimmDrive able to figure the file out so that it can later restore from it if something bad happens.

also when this happens it leaves a ghost drive. I have mentioned before that when you use the remove ghost drives option (click the '?') it should rename those folders so we dont have to do it manually, as you said, with lots of apps going that would be quite the chore.

I'm not sure a zip is needed since it creates a backup folder already, it just needs to restore it, that would be nice

a Restore from Crash button that moved everything for you would be very helpful.

That's a good idea, but I'm not sure what caused the crash.  I should add that bolded idea.  I'm going to do it, nice suggestion!

I was about to recommend something simmilar.

I ran into some problems with Dota 2 (haven't tested it on other steam games yet)... whenever I shutdown Dimmdrive it wouldn't rename the Dota 2 folder back to normal so my steam would try to reinstall the game.

For BF4 it seems to work just fine...

Maybe it has something to do with the setup? I Dimmdrive the whole Dota-folder but only some BF4 files...