birdomike

Batman: Arkham City (Commonly Accessed Files)

8 posts in this topic

Hi guys. I took a post from earlier about how to find what are the most commonly accessed files while running a game, and I put it to use. It's useful if you're using the "Less RAM" Option to find out exactly what files are being used the most during gameplay. So, here's the results from about 20 minutes of gametime in Batman: Arkham City:

sWk51lg.jpg

As you can see, Textures.tfc and normals.tfc are way out on top (They come in at about 1.3 GB each). Next up is Chartectures.tfc (1.2GB) and lighting.tfc (625MB). 

If anyone has any requests, let me know. I'll see what I can do. I have a pretty big inventory of games, and I'll most likely post more. 

Ivan and SpeshullEdd like this

That's awesome!  

Would you happen to have Skyrim with a massive amount of mods installed, including all the high res packs and DLC?

I do. I can take a look at it after dinner. 

That's awesome!  

Would you happen to have Skyrim with a massive amount of mods installed, including all the high res packs and DLC?

I was working on this, but it seems my skyrim will not launch with only parts of it on the ram drive... I did have it down to 8gb after profiling it though, I don't have an ungodly amount of mods, but I have enough to make it photo realistic. time for work though, I'll have to look into it later

I've compared loadtimes between Batman Arkham City from an SSD and from the ramdrive and there is no difference at all.

I've put Normals.tfc, Textures.tfc, CharTextures.tfc, Lighting.tfc and the whole English(US) folder on the ramdrive. That's 5,2 GB total.

I've used a stopwatch on my phone and loaded up a challenge map and the time between me pressing the button and the loadingscreen disappearing was 4,5 seconds, both with SSD and Dimmdrive.
I did the same with loading my current position in the storymode and it was 5,9 seconds both times. 

I've repeated the measurements 3 times each.

Edited by Ivan

One thing you should probably be aware of is that you need to clear your superfetch when doing any test.  I might even say to clear your HD's cache, since that is so specialized to data that is currently grabbed and can be twist results since it isn't realistic that you only use a HD for 1 single game and 1 single game only (as in, HDs cache only has data for that game only, not being true to on the fly changes).  But that's too much work, and I don't think it matters much since HD cache is so small.  But superfetch definitely.  If you don't clear your superfetch, then none of the tests will really be valid.  You can clear your superfetch by basically doing anything which flushes your RAM and re-fills it with something else.  However, your OS can actually re-fill your superfecth automatically anyway if Windows has a pattern of your usage that would dictate that.    

If you don't want to max your RAM with something else, and then close that program, and then do your test, you can do this (requires reboot).

c56zTfA.png

THAT BEING  SAID:    It really boils down to your unique PC, how you are measuring things, what games you're using, how you're playing them, so on so forth.  The general rule of thumb for PCs has always been "faster is better".  This applies to everything, including HDs, which essentially is what Dimmdrive is.

Hi guys. I took a post from earlier about how to find what are the most commonly accessed files while running a game, and I put it to use. It's useful if you're using the "Less RAM" Option to find out exactly what files are being used the most during gameplay. So, here's the results from about 20 minutes of gametime in Batman: Arkham City:

sWk51lg.jpg

As you can see, Textures.tfc and normals.tfc are way out on top (They come in at about 1.3 GB each). Next up is Chartectures.tfc (1.2GB) and lighting.tfc (625MB). 

If anyone has any requests, let me know. I'll see what I can do. I have a pretty big inventory of games, and I'll most likely post more. 

YAY!!! How did you acquire this information?