Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
JRWR

[GUIDE] Profiling a game to see most commonly accessed files

10 posts in this topic

Video Version

Using the tool Process Moniter You can get a full profile of what files are accessed and for how long over a game session

1) Open ProcMon.exe from the downloaded zip file

2) Let it run, nothing is needed to be done to the program to record the session

3) Start up the game, and play about 30 minutes to a hour, this will allow a proper profile to be made, Make sure to do everything you can, and focus on common areas that you use

4) After a long gameplay sessions, the fun begins, Go back into process monitor and filter the results

aUX6NTP.png

5) Find out the process name that your game uses for the main Programe (Planetside 2 uses Planetside2.exe)

6) Setup the filter as shown below, Click Add once completed, and click OK

gh2Wx0r.png

7) Goto Tools -> File summary

9118tiw.png

8)  Resize the window and click TWO times on "File Time" (This will sort all the files by the total amount of time spent accessing the files

M9QBSIZ.png

All Done, you now have the information to prepare a smaller and better DimmDrive!

Ravyu, Phyrinx and hej like this

This is an absolutely amazing post!  In fact, I'll be sending you a PM probably tomorrow about some secret stuff being added to Dimmdrive in relation to that.

Heck yea - nice job with this post man!

I'm going to take this info and get some of the commonly used games today, and post the highest accessed files. So then anyone else who needs to budget their memory, can use it as a guide. 

This is excellent, I was wondering what files were commonly used so I can modify my DD for TF2 for smaller RAM.

I guess I should ask an obvious question: You'd probably want the files with the longest time into DD? I'm also looking to see if there's a file size component in there I need to compare with as well.

You'd probably want the files with the longest time into DD?

Not necessarily. A single file or set of files might take a long time to load, but if the game only references them rarely (like, only during startup or something), then there's not a lot of point on keeping them on a ramdrive.

Ideally, you'd want to fit as many files that are accessed as often as possible on the drive. Even if they're small reads, if you access that file a thousand times more often, it's going to be a lot more important to have faster read times on it.