Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
joerduran

Battlefield 4

17 posts in this topic

Hey  there,

I haven't used it myself for BF4, however, I know that BF4 has some gigantic graphic textures that take up some pretty hefty disk IO.  That is literally exactly what Dimmdrive was built for, so I imagine it would help tremendously.  I can give a comparison such as ARMAIII which people are loving Dimmdrive on.

If others are using DD on Arma_III, how? Is there any instructions on setting up Battlefield 4? I cannot get the whole game into DD, I get message that game exceeds DD size.

Hey there, I responded to your other post saying exactly how to do that :)

See here:   http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/51-edit-this-is-released-coming-soon-ability-to-dimmdrive-a-game-larger-than-the-size-of-your-dimmdrive/page-2

Also, check out this Youtube video:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMXC8A3BX74

It covers the "Less RAM" option for World of Warcraft, but the same concept goes for any game.

So, I'm trying to test BF4 on DD since it's loadscreen are sooooo long for me and I've not really noticed a difference on other games like LoL (pointless anyway since we have to wait for all players). My problem with BF4 is that it's data files are around 25GB spread across a bunch of files:

cas_01.cas

cas_02.cas

cas_21.cas

Some of these will surely be singleplayer stuff, which I'm not fussed about. I mainly want to run tests on loading up the Test Range of BF4 so that I can run repeats. How can I figure out which files need to be put on DD? Maybe a program to listen for file activity?

Ok, used Process Monitor to track file activity and found this:

5wbtr.png

That's quite annoying. Just launching the test range requires part of every data file. This is around 20GB of data files used just to play in the shooting gallery.

I've just run a couple of tests:

Loading from platter drive:               33 Seconds

With 02, 04, 11, 12, 16, 18 on DD:   36 Seconds

That seems a bit counter-intuitive. DD test was run after the platter one too so surely some caching would speed it up in some way.

My RAM is http://www.corsair.com/memory-by-product-family/vengeance/vengeance-low-profile-8gb-dual-channel-ddr3-memory-kit-cml8gx3m2a1600c9.html

1)  Clear your superfetch before testing.  Best way is to just disable the service.  Reboot.  Then run with DD. 

2)  Make sure you have the proper config for RAM for the game, OS, etc.

3)  I think we need to dig into a bit more which files are needed.  I'll be doing some testing with BF4 in the coming weekish so I should be able to nail this down.

1) Disabling superfetch seems to me like it would invalidate any tests run. I'm always going to have it on, so testing without is going to provide no real world results. I guess you could say that superfetch might not always load what I want into RAM, but it seems to be doing an alright job so far :P If I spend the week mainly playing BF4 then it seems like SF will get it to me pretty quick.

2) What kind of config?

3) It unfortunately seems like BF4 is using almost all of its 20GB data files :( I can only fit around 6-7 into dimmdrive before I don't have enough room to actually play the game :P The test I posted above was on the Testing Range, not an actual multiplayer game, so maybe a proper game would use them differently.

EDIT: I was just playing BF4 with chrome on DD (no BF4 files on there) and the game crashed into an epic mess. Couldn't get to windows so had to turn power off. Fortunately, I was able to rename the .presync folders in Program Files and AppData to get my Chrome working again. This could get quite annoying, especially with games like BF4 that seem to just want to crash. But anyway, not DD's fault at all, in fact, DD saved me because I didn't back up my Chrome folders manually.

Running ProcMon through 2-3 maps of BF4 has given me some more results. I can't actually run ProcMon for much longer than that as Windows started to shout at me about low memory (since when was 5GB+ free out of 16GB low memory?!? that's more than some computers start with! xD).

5xGTo.png

It appears a file called "WeaponChunks.sb" located in "Origin Games\Battlefield 4\Data\Win32" is used by the game way more than any of the data files. I may try placing this, and a few other files from the Win32 folder, onto DD. This would be around 2GB and it looks like it would provide better performance to DD size ratio than trying to cram data files on.

Thanks for the update!

A big thing I'm hearing from people is that you want to make sure you aren't skimping BF4 out on how much RAM it needs for itself, which potentially can be as high as 6GB.

After a few more DD tweaks I'll be setting this up myself to really dive into it.  

Ye, it's quite hard to actually run BF4, DD and ProcMon at the same time. ProcMon seems to eat around 4GB of RAM every 20 mins, so it doesn't give me much time to play until windows start complaining :/ Not sure if I'm doing something wrong with that...

One time I ignored the first "Running out of memory" popup and 2 minutes later it closed ProcMon! That was so annoying as I was mainly playing BF4 to get those logs!

I loaded everything but the CAS files and honestly only got into the games a few seconds faster than my friend with the same spec'd system.  I realize there are probably 30 variables i'm downplaying in this, but it honestly sounds like the CAS files are still the primary culprit in what you need to preload to get an edge.  

in BF4 the faster you load the faster you can cap points while everyone's still loading.  I have a buddy that loads in about the time we've caught 2 points and are running to the third.

So.... with 16 GB of ram are there specific CAS files I should consider loading over the others?

Unfortunately, they all seem to be used around the same amount :( I'm on 16GB of RAM too and would've liked to do something with BF4, but the best we can do is just add 5-6 of the data files to DD.

For BF4, I'm gonna buy windows 8.1 or 10 and 64GB of ram and dimm the whole friggin game! Just can't decide if I want to wait for w10 or just "upgrade" to w8.1.

Games like CoD AW I dimmed the two huge imagefile36.pak  and imagefile38.pak  (5 gigs !!) plus some oddball files I figured would matter and now I'm

in the new map waiting for laggards !!   I'm usually one of the first two deployed.

Soulistik likes this