Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Kaitte

Partially Loading Games

5 posts in this topic

I unfortunately only have 16GB of RAM (4x4 GB) and I am not in a position that would allow me to upgrade to 32GB at the moment. All the games that I play are in the 10-16GB range for their entire folder and thus it seems like I won't be able to use DimmDrive for a number of the games I'd like to use it with. Would it be possible to implement some kind of system that would let me partially load a game into the RAM drive? For example, If I could load all of the dungeon/terrain layouts for a game I could get most of the benefit of DimmDrive without needing (or being able) to load the entire game into memory.

Jooser likes this

Hello Kaitte and welcome to the forums!

Great minds think alike!  I say this because what you said is specifically on the feature list to add to Dimmdrive.  We are working on some insanely awesome developments to allow people to Dimmdrive games without actually using the full game install folder, almost exactly like what you've said.  

For example, many games have things like video files, or graphic art specific to certain zones, etc.   It doesn't make sense to make a video run at 5,000+MB/s so then it shouldn't be needed, right?  Well that is our thought.  We've got a few tricks up our sleeves for how to do this and we're really excited about it !

It's coming!

Just wanna say I can't wait for this feature

Same :)

It'll likely be released in 3 phases to speed things up, with the first phase being a more manual (yet easy) way of doing, say, a 22GB game into 10GB dimmdrive.

Stay tuned!