Serial

Is it possible to get more than 50 % decreased loading time ?

7 posts in this topic

Hello everyone and Thank you Tim for your excellent software.

I bought this software some time ago when I didnt have any RAM at all.

Now I have 12G of 1333 DDR3. That's it for the background now lets go into the question.

I'm actually using it to decrease loading time from Fallout 4 and the best that I"m able to go is to decrease the loading time by around 50 %.

Instead of 2 min, it takes 1 min now. Well I'm asking you Tim because in like the first video you made back then when you are launching 5 WoW, you got also a 50% decrease in loading time.

And now its 2016 and you made the same record for Star citizen. 

So clearly its like there is something that slow us down a "bottleneck". Maybe its the processor and that's the reason why you made CPUscores directly after Dimmdrive ?

In fact what i'm saying here and correct me If I'm wrong: is that even if I would have the best RAM out there I'm thinking that I couldnt have better than a 50% decrease in loading time.

Please dont hit me too hard, english isnt my first language. I'm really trying to get an answer to this.

wapednap and mariopetNot like this

Hey there Serial! Tim no longer has any part of Dimmdrive. He sold it and new owners took over relatively recently. I am one of the moderators on here.

I'm not sure on your technical know-how, but you say you have 12GB of 1333 DDR3 RAM now. The 1333 stand for 1333mhz which is the frequency (one part of the speed of RAM). 1333 isn't bad, but it isn't great either. 

The speed that you get from Dimmdrive is dependent on quite a few things actually. Your CPU Speed, RAM Speed (frequency and timing), Front Side Bus, Northbridge.

DDR stands for Double Data Rate. It's a bit of a misnomer, but you half your frequency and that essentially is your speed of your frequency since DDR allows twice the throughput which is why if you go to overclock you will see your ram at the speed of 800mhz if you have 1600mhz RAM. If you went to overclock you would see 666mhz in your bios.

That is besides the point though.

If you want even faster Dimmdrive speeds you're going to need something truly fast like an i7 4790k and some really fast ram. The front side bus and northbridge don't matter do much with this cpu and the choice of ram you'd need to get since the motherboards that can hold an i7 4790k generally all have top of the line hardware to accommodate the fast cpu and ram among other things.

I currently have an i5 4670k at 3.5Ghz which boosts to nearly 3.8 and my 1600mhz RAM. I typically get close to 7-8000 megabits per second on my speed with ATTO and Crystal Disk Mark.

If you have any more questions let me know. I reply when I can. I am not a paid moderator and I have a job. I get on here when I can. :)

Best, Michael. 

Thank you for this fast answer really detailed. Thing is I also have I5-4670K at 3.4 Ghz

On crystal diskmark this is what I got 

Seq 5548 MB/s Reading  9826 MB/s in Writting

4 K  847.5 MB/s Reading  708.4 MB/s in Writting

So to go back to my question, are you able to get more than a 50% decrease in loading time as when you use Dimmdrive and when you dont use it ?

It is possible, but another thing I forgot is that it also depends on the game engine! If the game is poorly programmed then there may actually be a limit of how much data it can read/write. Another is that most games and software don't use 64bit processing, but rather 32 which limits the speed that you can get as well!

Can you give me a link to the exact motherboard and RAM that you have please.

I'm using 2 X 2 G CORSAIR PC3-10700 (667 MHz) with 2 X 4 G CORSAIR PC3-10700H (667 MHz)  

I'm giving you the speecy specs:

Type DDR3

Size 4096 MBytes
Manufacturer Corsair
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700 (667 MHz)
Part Number CMV4GX3M1A1333C9
Timing table
Frequency CAS# Latency RAS# To CAS# RAS# Precharge tRAS tRC Voltage
JEDEC #1 457.1 MHz 6,0 6 6 17 22 1,500 V
JEDEC #2 533.3 MHz 7,0 7 7 20 26 1,500 V
JEDEC #3 666.7 MHz 9,0 9 9 24 33 1,500 V

Type DDR3
Size 2048 MBytes
Manufacturer Corsair
Max Bandwidth PC3-10700H (667 MHz)
Part Number VS2GB1333D4
Timing table
Frequency CAS# Latency RAS# To CAS# RAS# Precharge tRAS tRC Voltage
JEDEC #1 444.4 MHz 6,0 6 6 16 23 1,500 V
JEDEC #2 518.5 MHz 7,0 7 7 19 27 1,500 V
JEDEC #3 592.6 MHz 8,0 8 8 22 30 1,500 V
JEDEC #4 666.7 MHz 9,0 9 9 24 34 1,500 V

with a motherboard H87 Pro4 from Asrock http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/H87%20Pro4/

GC GeForce GTX 760

Nothing fancy but enough for what I'm doing with it.

Yeah with that RAM you're getting the speed you should expect.

In order to decrease loading times even further you'd need faster RAM, but it will only give you so much. If you're an enthusiast and had all the money in the world you could no doubt decrease loading times to just a few seconds, but it may cost a few thousand dollars haha.