R741984

APU RAM Help!

2 posts in this topic

Having small amounts of RAM at a slightly higher speed, or more RAM @ slower speed, with my Mid-Heavy game on DimmDrive?

PC Specs:

APU A6 6400k

8gb 2133mhz RAM (currently set)

or

12gb 1600mhz RAM (with Game On DimmDrive)

I would imagine DimmDrive SHOULD have significant amounts of gains if I have the Memory using dimmdrive to allocate the game files right?

On an APU at least? 

I noticed 10-15FPS increase, adding a faster speed from 1600 - 2133mhz. but I am not entirely sure if putting more RAM is better, as most people say, faster RAM is more important that Bigger RAM for APU.

I put my entire game on DimmDrive on my main PC, AMD FX8320 with R7 360 card, and virtually no performance increase. 

So before I add DimmDrive to my APU or More Memory, i would like to know what everyone thinks. 

Thanks

Apologies for the late reply. I've been extremely busy!

Honestly the A6 cpu is going to bottleneck any benefite you'd get from the 2133mhz RAM. I'd go with the higher capacity!

AMD doesn't have very good single core performance compared to intel.

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=AMD+A6-6400K+APU

The per core performance is only 1413 which is pretty terrible. With Dimmdrive it would more than likely bottle neck the 2133mhz RAM

I have an i5 4670k and its per core performance is significantly higher and I have 32GB of 1600mhz RAM. Per core performance is 2200 which means that one of my 4 cores is almost as good as your entire CPU working all together. :)

https://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel+Core+i5-4670K+%40+3.40GHz