sudoapt

Virtualbox guest os support?

7 posts in this topic

Hello

I was wondering if it was possible for users to be able to load entire guest operating systems into ram in dimmdrive? It would make loading times infinitely faster when using Virtualbox and every other aspect of the OS would be incredibly fast.

Linux OS are usually around 4-8gb of file system data

Windows OS are usually around 16-32gb of file system data

So anyone with 64gb of ram or higher can easily load the entire guest operating system into ram but can this become a feature of dimmdrive?

Yes of course! I know Tim does it all the time and I only have 32GB of RAM so I only do a Ubuntu box, but still! It's quite amazing!

I'm saving up a few grand to buy the latest and greatest of the next generation of computing. I hope to have 256GB of RAM at least eventually.

Here is a video I made about just that!

Be sure to check the Steam Forums as well! Many useful videos have been posted there as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/337070/discussions/

Best, Michael.

Yes of course! I know Tim does it all the time and I only have 32GB of RAM so I only do a Ubuntu box, but still! It's quite amazing!

I'm saving up a few grand to buy the latest and greatest of the next generation of computing. I hope to have 256GB of RAM at least eventually.

Here is a video I made about just that!

Be sure to check the Steam Forums as well! Many useful videos have been posted there as well.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/337070/discussions/

Best, Michael.

I am aware of VMware support but I was actually talking about Virtualbox which is somewhat different. I can load OS guest image onto ram disk but for some reason Virtualbox doesn't recognize the image once it the pathway has been changed due to loading it to ram.

Cool vid thanks :)

I was wondering if there would be any support for Virtualbox?

Alright, don't quote me on this since I can't actually install VirtualBox at this moment, but it appears to work just the same as VMware. 

You'll need to do the whole installation fresh onto Dimmdrive so you would do this. I've not had luck (with any VM) just copying over the files from an already in use VM. I've always had to make a brand new one from scratch. 

Let's use Ubuntu since the requirements are super low. You'll need at least 32GB of RAM in your system.

Our VM will have a 15GB HDD and 4GB of RAM.

1. Open Dimmdrive and make an empty drive with (At the very least) 22GB of space.

2. Designate the Ubuntu .iso as the source file

3. Designate at least 15GB for the storage of the VM (make sure you designate your Dimmdrive as the location to save the images) and 4GB for RAM

4. Continue the installation

All should be good.

Let me know how that works for you. Its just the way that VM's work that I don't believe will ever be able to be used with Dimmdrive in another way.

In the future once I get more RAM in my system I'll be sure to try moving an already created VM over to Dimmdrive to see if it works.

Until then, this is the only solution to getting the full speed out of a VM.

sudoapt likes this

Thanks MrDeth

I'll try that out and get back to you on the results. I need to get some sleep though so I'm going to hit the sack.

Your suggestion actually makes a lot of sense especially sometimes when virtual software can be finicky with image pathway name changes from c: drive to Dimmdrive (z:) etc etc...I didn't think to install it on the actual Dimmdrive so I'll give that a try :)

Cheers mate

MrDeth likes this

You're very welcome Sudoapt. :)

The only reason I can think of it not working otherwise is exactly that. Damn pathways. I know you can get around it in Linus systems, but Windows is very finicky about its absolute paths.

Have a great night! I'm excited to know how it goes! The OS is extremely fast when it's on Dimmdrive haha.

Best, Michael.