Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
apoctv

BF4 and DimmDrive

19 posts in this topic

I haven't played the game yet myself, but you could be the first to find out!  Just load up resmon.exe  go into Disk Activity, click on Total (B/sec) to sort the higher number above, and then put that on another screen while you play and just glance over at it and watch 

Note:  Future versions of Dimmdrive will have this built in!

Interesting, sort of the opposite of what one might expect.  I wonder if there is something that needs to be looked at.

Could other people please test with BF4?  I heard one person said it worked awesome but they had to do the whole game, requiring them to have a lot of RAM (32G plus).

Xiohexia, try using less files. There is a possibility you loaded so much on dimmdrive, that the game didn't actually have enough ram to run reliably anymore, try keeping about 8-10 GB free and play around with some files. JRWR wrote a pretty amazing tutorial on which files to pick ;) http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/189-guide-profiling-a-game-to-see-most-commonly-accessed-files/

xiohexia likes this

Xiohexia, try using less files. There is a possibility you loaded so much on dimmdrive, that the game didn't actually have enough ram to run reliably anymore, try keeping about 8-10 GB free and play around with some files. JRWR wrote a pretty amazing tutorial on which files to pick ;) http://forums.dimmdrive.com/index.php?/topic/189-guide-profiling-a-game-to-see-most-commonly-accessed-files/

Lemme try that. I'll report back shortly.

*edit*

http://xiohexia.com/dimmdrive/img/bf4_usage.png

Looks like BF4 whores all 21 of those ~1GB cas files equally, and a ~1.25GB WeaponsChunks.sb a ton. Those files add up to ~23GB's. Kind of silly that they didn't seperate the SP assets from the MP assets. After loading up Drimdrive with said files, I have 4.5GB's of ram remaining. 

After testing it for a bit in BF4 it seems to be working better than before. Instead of 30 seconds of loading im getting about 15 seconds. Also no FPS cuts whatsoever. I also applied an SLI fix which seemed to have improved my SLI perf a bit. Heres the links for those: https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/618930/battlefield-4-sli-fix/ http://www.cmwgaming.com/topic/2300-battlefield-4-sli-fix/

I'm going to purchase BF4 just to test this out a bit more.  I have a pretty bomb system, so it should be interesting.

I'm going to watch this post like a hawk, 90 seconds+ loading times are not fun ;_;

xiohexia likes this

So wait, what do we load? Because If I have all the cas files on my dimmdrive, there isnt enough ram to play BF4 and use skype voice at the same time (which I need to do some times)

Throw as many of the .cas files on as you can. I can only use around a 6GB DD when playing BF4 so I can't test it very well. Let us know your results :)

i've only got 16GB total (10GB DD) so i skipped the .cas files but managed to load (hopefully) all the others.  even if  stretched my rig to 32GB RAM BF4 is still asking for 27+ GB and as i'm already running off an SSD i'm not sure the extra expense would be worth it ?

I was reading on Reddit of a user with BF4 and doing that with Dimmdrive, something about load times from 30+ seconds to 4-5, not to mention smoother gameplay.

I haven't bought BF4 just yet myself but I will be shortly.

That was me! It has mixed results based on which map you're loading. Operation Locker was insanely fast for me. And if your on a 24/7 one map server, it will be even faster (the fastest I ever recorded was 15 seconds) as it will be cached. I recently added some more files. Pretty much I just put everything on DD except for cas files 1-20. (I did put one 21 since it is only 500 mb) That ended up being 6.7 Gb. The config I said on the reddit was closer to 5.7 I think.

That was me! It has mixed results based on which map you're loading. Operation Locker was insanely fast for me. And if your on a 24/7 one map server, it will be even faster (the fastest I ever recorded was 15 seconds) as it will be cached. I recently added some more files. Pretty much I just put everything on DD except for cas files 1-20. (I did put one 21 since it is only 500 mb) That ended up being 6.7 Gb. The config I said on the reddit was closer to 5.7 I think.

Heck yea!  Mind posting a screenshot to how you have DD configured?  I guess just open up the Less RAM? option and post a few screenies?

I wonder whether it's easier to put the expansion on DD... As in, will it still use all 20 of the original files or will they just use a few new ones.

I'll have a look later :)