Tim

Just curious, any programmers or graphic designers in the crowd?

64 posts in this topic

Just finished off a dark version, inspired by the Winamp Evil Red skin.

It is a bit bigger again (but still smaller than the current UI), due to the fact game navigation should be a tolerable thing and not a frustrating/slow act.

Again, logo is just a placeholder and can be switched out for whatever.

(Ignore illogical things, like the scroll bar not being positioned correctly and such, its just an image!)

• The column headers would be clickable to sort by the value, possibly shift clickable to sort by multiple, so you can sort by title and Enabled. (Its also sticky, so will always show even if scrolling)
  • Next to the GAMES header is a search box, integrated in there optimizes space since game titles should have enough room to display in a font large enough for someone with poorer eyesight to see :)
  • Favorites will be sorted at the top and by title by default, hovering over where the star is would be a darker silhouette star (just like steam)
  • Every other row is highlighted, hovering over a row will further highlight that row.
  • New fancier buttons, switches, toggles and such, all fully animated, all with multiple states.
  • The Performance/Status bars at the bottom have been enhanced to display more information in the same space, RED is Spaced already in use by the system, GREEN is free spaced not used by the system, BLUE is the size of the DimmDrive and YELLOW is the size of the currently selected games. The numbers to the right display the same info (but in numbers and not a bar graph :P )

zx5CbQj.png

The settings tab has been changed a bit, added back some padding and increased font size, because it should be the same size and not change size depending on what page you are on, and since the game tab requires a bit of size, its better to flesh out the settings tab to match and add some other artistic bits to it, also leaves room for easy addition of new settings without having to re-engineer the entire UI just to add 1 more option.

The bigger icons were just quickly added back in just to fill in the space, better custom icons should be used, but for the purpose of getting a layout done I focused on that and just snagged some generic icons for place holdings sake.

A 3rd box is back with a style selection, currently "set" to Evil Red, a much Darker and Red version of any of the previous styles, however they would still easily be added due to the way I have created the source file, this would allow many different styles in both light, and dark versions to suit most people.

ioxX63e.png

Oh man, that is looking really nice!   But the red font on the red background has got to go :)

But man on man, that is looking amazing!  I like the style idea box.

The way you have the steam games organized is really nice, I like it.  What do other people think about this?

Are you still making these out of photoshop, that's it? 

Keep on pumping out some awesome designs man.   I seriously wake up excited to check this thread out for updates :)

Its all done in Photoshop with vector for all the elements (sometimes Illustrator is used to create some elements due to Photoshop being a bit limited with vector, but most of the time Photoshop can get the job done).

The red text is all based on the Evil Red Winamp skin, and it took me a day or so to re-organize and make it all much easier to modify colors and such.

I have had a day or so break, well sort of a break, I have mostly been looking at nice colors and stuff, I have like 30+ theme ideas already, some light, some dark, some with high contrast some with lower contrast (like Evil Red being dark, low contrast)

I will try a new skin out again tomorrow and probably have a new one out every day this week, I got some other work also, but its mostly a monitoring thing so I can do other things on my main pc while keeping an eye on things on the other screens.

I think my next skin out will be Sky, a dark style with a nice lightish blue feature to it, the next few will be one that is back to the original lighter blue and white, and another light colored one, maybe a soft grey/brown (like a very subtle hint of it) with darker grey text :D

EDIT:

I seem to have been smarter when first doing things than I thought, its super easy to change the colors to anything at all really :) (Ignore the fact that the settings still shows the game tab, its to illustrate colors, and I forgot to switch it around, I think its not needed at this point right? :D )

VqrJRPZ.png

50MBhsg.png

Well nothing is perfect, but I do have the ability to easily change everything.

And on that note, here is a lighter style (forgot to change the smaller on buttons, will fix):

a7nwmTd.png

uauO2uT.png

I really, really like these designs a ton.  I'll be sending you a PM in the next weekish, maybe I can offer you a reward/bounty or something for help :)

Keep the ideas coming/refined, these are great!

Xio / Ice:  If you're up to it, what if this weekend we posted a thread in the general discussions, with voting, where people could vote on a few designs by you guys and see what everybody thinks?  If so, then between now and say Saturday, maybe polish things off, add some screens of sub-menus and whatnot, and see where things go?

Once again, awesome stuff guys!

xiohexia likes this

I really, really like these designs a ton.  I'll be sending you a PM in the next weekish, maybe I can offer you a reward/bounty or something for help :)

Keep the ideas coming/refined, these are great!

Xio / Ice:  If you're up to it, what if this weekend we posted a thread in the general discussions, with voting, where people could vote on a few designs by you guys and see what everybody thinks?  If so, then between now and say Saturday, maybe polish things off, add some screens of sub-menus and whatnot, and see where things go?

Once again, awesome stuff guys!

Will do.

*edit* Been working on other things. I think badger has this down pat anyways.

Sounds good to me, I have polished up some of the smaller things to (hopefully) look much better. I do have the sub-menu stuff done.

I will have a few styles (thinking a few light, and a few dark ones) done by Saturday, do you have a specific time (with timezone) decided when you will be posting it up so that I can get things on there in a timely manner?

Unfortunately I have become sick at some point yesterday (puking quite a bit) so I have not had much time to work on this one, but this is one I call Matrix, I have a set of newer ones ready that contain some extra polish, but we can save those for Saturday

SLr3tJo.png

fNMnN5a.png

You should label that post as NSFW because that UI is definitely about as sexy as it gets.  

Fantastic job.  I'm very excited to see what Saturday has to offer!

Any shot you can make some UI sub-window images, as like I have now in Dimmdrive (Eg, wrench menu, initial file copy/setup menu).

Again, this is absolutely fantastic!

I do have things like a login screen done and the USB 3.0 screen, and still working on the more/less ram stuff.

Since its not all done yet I feel like keeping it under wraps for now, and I will try and have a few styles ready for Saturday, I might even PM them to you on Friday so that you can put them up on the post yourself right away (if you want to)

Well here is an update with some of the extra menus and stuff, they all really look the same in style, but obviously with different content depending on the context.

eqsB1rY.png

Here you can also see that I changed the settings/minimize/close buttons to be a bit more traditional square instead of round, was able to make them a little bigger without actually making them take up more space.

51Fl4CZ.png

I think all boxes should have the classic X close on them, its familiar to everyone using Windows, so if they miss click its always the same way to close something, prevents searching and would save people a few seconds of brain time :)

Might want to rotate the DD logo 90 degrees, it reads more like a filmstrip.  Looking really damn slick though.

Its a placeholder, would be replaced with a logo that had more than 30 seconds put into it :P

Sorry for not posting any updates for you to look at! Been having a serious case of the flu so I am mostly in bed, though when not sleeping it does give me time to think about other improvements, get a different view on things, but do not expect much until I get better, looking at a bright screen with moving stuff on it makes my head explode :P

Okay so my favorites are your last 2, the Gray/Light, as well as the Green/Black.  Those 2 designs are absolutely amazing.  

I like the color palette idea that you have whereas somebody could click on a color combination and it changes the look.  That should be easy to code in as well.

Do you think you could take the green/black  and the gray/light and then basically go through all the menus that DD has, and basically lay out a design for each menu?  Maybe even take a stab at a logo?

These are awesome.  Btw PM me your skype!

Why have I not seen this thread be for? :o

Ice, your designs are great! I prefer the lighter ones, but a choice is good :)

I'm really hoping for native scroll areas though, so we can use the mouse wheel to navigate the lists easier.

Another thing I wanted to say was that it doesn't have to be a tiny window, I'd rather see more functions in less mouse clicks :)

xiohexia likes this

Well I am always on Skype, so just pop a message whenever you are on :P

(I am GMT +1)

Not had time to make a lot of stuff at the moment, still been sick and its all the holiday stuff, and birthday stuff going on.

I will probably get back to it some time this week :)