Tim

Just curious, any programmers or graphic designers in the crowd?

64 posts in this topic

I've been known to dabble in all of the above, although I'm much better at coding then graphics. I've done anything from java, visual basic, to q-basic, to python... whatever suits my needs at the time. I mostly stick with python these days.

Honestly I'm not sure I can hold a candle to you, I couldn't make DimmDrive if I wanted to, but if there's anything I can do to help, I'd be glad to try.

Thanks, it happens to be graphics at the moment where some help could be needed :)   Specifically, in the animated GIF/flash area.

This is by no means a gripe (I love your product), but when I was recommending DimmDrive to a friend the first thing he commented on was "couldn't they have found a better graphics designer". Hehe

Good work nonetheless!

edit:

On topic, I am studying software development at university and dabble in coding as a hobby outside of university as well.

I am hopeless at design though. :)

I did all the graphic design for Dimmdrive myself.  I'm not a graphic designer :)

But the GUI is fun.  I've noticed people seem to be split right down the middle.  Some people LOVE the "ram look" of Dimmdrive.  Some people instead want a super slim look and feel.  I'm going to probably end up doing both and give Dimmdrive a toggle :)

the Ram drive look isn't bad... maybe if looked more like some sleek black minimalistic or something... then again... maybe something a bit more functional... larger even.

*edit*
just for laughs I threw together a layout.

layout1_OTHER_PROGRAMS.png

layout1_STEAM.png

still not as organized as i might like it... i might have to give that another swing haha

being that this appeals to the power users among us, it really would be nice to have skins, even if it wasn't a super spiffy skinning backbone built into the program, if you just left the some of the GUI stuff in the open so we could edit it ourselves, I'm sure we could get a skinning community started

xiohexia likes this

Xio that is pretty damn awesome!   How did you make that?  The skin idea is very interesting as well!

Right now the immediate plans are basically:

Bug fixes

Add more fun Steam features

Add a "Compact Mode"  (which is like Xio posted, something compact/power user-y)

Add community features

Then from there, explore more fun things like Skins, etc!

xiohexia likes this

Xio that is pretty damn awesome!   How did you make that?  The skin idea is very interesting as well!

Right now the immediate plans are basically:

Bug fixes

Add more fun Steam features

Add a "Compact Mode"  (which is like Xio posted, something compact/power user-y)

Add community features

Then from there, explore more fun things like Skins, etc!

Took a couple hours in photoshop.

Interesting.

Could you try and refine it, maybe thin out the lines, make it more compact, change the colors to be more suitable to maybe the general look and feel of other programs that can be found online that are streamlined/compact?

You've got skills man, definitely give you that!

xiohexia likes this

I have done quite a lot of design work in the past, here is something I threw together as a basic layout, some inspiration from steam and other software I have running.

The tabs at top could be other things, or just removed until needed in the future (help documents, cleanups, benchmark, sync logs and other things).

The Name would have to logo in front and probably some prettyfing to it, obviously have the main on off switch somewhere, sort of forgot about it, was just wanting to do something quick and dirty to give you an idea.

cr1px5X.gif

Can obviously be scaled up/down :)

0rD9GKq.png

(The USB logo would change color depending on state, and button would change label, obviously fill out the other areas with content as needed, things like drive size/letter and open drive)

Ivan likes this

Interesting.

Could you try and refine it, maybe thin out the lines, make it more compact, change the colors to be more suitable to maybe the general look and feel of other programs that can be found online that are streamlined/compact?

You've got skills man, definitely give you that!

layout2_MAIN.png

layout2_STEAM.png

I didnt change the color theme yet (cus i love that white on black look), but I made it a bit smaller and more organized. i'll tinker with it some more later. an alternate theme perhaps >_>

other than the HUGE header, that looks nice, I like that

Had some time, so I shrunk it down, and played with colors :D (any dithering or low quality looking things is just due to .gif compression, it is all sweet sweet vector for "infinite" scaling )

04YTYci.gif

Ivan likes this

xiohexia and IceBadger:   Both of these designs are awesome!

I'm extremely burned out right now and will likely sleep for 20 hours.  I just wanted to drop a note to both of you saying awesome.  I'll give some more specific feedback in the very short future.

Until then, please, continue to tinker away and make it awesome!  

For IceBadger, I'd probably try and shrink that down a bit, maybe make it half the size, more compact, ya know?

xiohexia and IceBadger:   Both of these designs are awesome!

I'm extremely burned out right now and will likely sleep for 20 hours.  I just wanted to drop a note to both of you saying awesome.  I'll give some more specific feedback in the very short future.

Until then, please, continue to tinker away and make it awesome!  

For IceBadger, I'd probably try and shrink that down a bit, maybe make it half the size, more compact, ya know?

Well its vector so it can be scaled to any size, could just have a handle in the bottom right so people can set it to whatever size they feel comfortable with. Could also remove some of the blank space on the sides, its more as a rough draft for a layout and such more than a final product, since I am sure its not as easy as just put image in and be done with it :P I do more web coding (HTML/CSS/PHP/JavaScript) than applications.

Like the design IceBadger, thought the ENORMOUS bars at the bottom feel like a bit of empty space haha

Glad people like it!

Yeah, I left it open during the design process just in case I found something else to add so that there would be space there, the whole thing is easily modifiable, and most of it is vector so it can be scaled and moved around without losing quality or proportions (like rounded corners being oval if made wider) Should also keep in mind that if a user scales things up, there would just be empty space on tabs that do not display large amounts of objects, but the games tab might be full with a scroll bar.

Seeing this was made in an image editor and I have little experience in what language DimmDrive was made in it is difficult to make something specific for it, as said earlier I mostly work in web development, and there are many ways to make something look like this, could just use the image and map things, or could use HTML and CSS to code it all out, the first one would be hard coded in the looks, the second one would be super easy to modify, but would take a while to make :D

Ice, Great design, I like it, but it's just too big.  I'm thinking a more compact design, something that is maybe 1/3 the size.  Could you give that a shot?   

So this is what I would call going to the extreme. Still displays all the same info, but things have been shrunk down and some prettyfications removed. (Settings is now a small button instead of a tab and Applications have been shortened to Apps, the DD would display a Logo and not just the letters)

5WCybCx.png

Keep in mind that scaling things down is not necessarily a good thing, it means compromising usability with saving space, some people may like things to be small while other like it scaled up. Allowing a dynamic scaling, like a (good) website is obviously the absolute best option, remember that with this small window, it will make browsing games difficult unless you allow for scaling it vertically.

Ice, those are really nice looking.  It gave me an idea! 

But could you take a stab at what you'd like the Steam area to look like?

Also, could you try it with a lot more space savings, such as cutting the font size by half at least, removing some wasted space that pads everything, etc? :)

Fantastic job :)

I think we might have reached a point where going over Skype (or something) might be beneficial if you really want to hammer things out and have something you might want to use.

Anyways, as it seems like you want things super tiny, here is one with some of the new buttons (with states such as Normal, Hover, Active and Enable, also with a dark variant)

I just put up a placeholder logo for now since I could not find any high res/vector versions of one.

JWrzYUs.png

(Yes this is 100% scale :P )

Now this is an extreme again, more to show how really small it can be, I left the game part out since that would be a lot of work, and I think we can discuss it better and I can show you better how things work, since there are over 100 elements to the entire thing (yeah its a bunch, and you might not even notice them all!)

I also need to think a little about how to scale the games thing down while still be able to display multiple games at a time, along with a search bar and such, I do have a few cool ideas, though I doubt I can make it fit in such a small space and still keep it looking good and user friendly.