Tim

Any love for retro RPGs?

9 posts in this topic

My favorite game of all time is the old school RPG Ultima, specifically Ultima 7: The Black Gate, as well as Ultima 7: The Serpent Isle.

OKkjJb3.jpg lZTDbp5l.jpg

Does anybody else have any favorite old school games?

*Edit*

Read your topic wrong; neither of these is an RPG.

star_control_01.png

I really liked the original Star Control.

Mostly just put it onto 'Melee' against a computer opponent, to test tactics and perfect the use of each of the ships.

archon-borito.jpg

I loved this one too.

Kind of like Chess, except when you attempt to capture a piece a battle ensues; with the victor remaining on the board and the defeated unit being removed.

And the 'advantage' would shift in a cycle... if you controlled five key points, at once (three of which shifted advantage), you'd win... or you could eliminate your opponent.

never could get into the ultima series, I played the hell out of kings quest though, and i used to MUD and role play on BBS servers before the internet came about, as well as paper and dice (mostly GURPS there).

i think the first RPG type game I ever got into was Shadowgate on the NES and then i got the Zelda games and never turned back. I'm a huge Zelda junkie.

Moving forward my first MMORPG was Asheron's Call, still haven't played anything as good. And these days? well it can be hard to come up with the time for RPG's, sinking 100 hours into a game just isn't in the schedule of my life, but the wife and I enjoy isometric RPG's together like torchlight and diablo.

Kings Quest was amazingly fun.  I like to think of it as a sort of precursor to the Myst type of games, but with more freedom to move around.

Shadowgate was awesome.  Did you know it is getting redone by the original devs?  

Asheron's Call was really good, I played that for ages.  Morningthaw represent!  Though I played Ultima Online (first modern MMORPG ever) and loved the hell out of that game.  I miss the good ole days of real PVP.

i loved the heck outta ultima online. i still remember the t2a glory days and think on them fondly. 

beyond that i think my first crpg was fallout 1 and that was during 97 or 98? fo1 and fo2 are my favorite games of all time.

played some muds before that, but i dont remember them too well.

You know, I never did play Fallout much.  I think those days I was so obsessed with Ultima, Daggerfall, Crusader: No Remorse, games like that.

I bought Fallout 3 probably 3 times now, never did play through it all, though the game is absolutely GORGEOUS!

You know, I never did play Fallout much.  I think those days I was so obsessed with Ultima, Daggerfall, Crusader: No Remorse, games like that.

I bought Fallout 3 probably 3 times now, never did play through it all, though the game is absolutely GORGEOUS!

I think you'd probably like it, being a fan of Ultima. I think Fallout was the next step up in level of freedom that was granted from the Ultima series. Ultima did a lot of controversial things first, like child killing and I think gay relationships, but Fallout really pushed the envelope in terms of allowing the player freedom. There's a decent sized community that's continued to support the game with restoration of unfinished content by the developers (see killap's restoration patch for fo2, i think fallout fixt is the equivalent for fo1). There's just a lot of great writing in the series and I truly believe it will be observed as a classical work of art in 100+ years. In contrast, FO3 is in many ways a step backwards in terms of progressing the RPG genre, but I won't start ranting too much about that, otherwise this post will never end.

I've been meaning to play an ultima for years now. I think VII is the popular one right? I tried playing it but it's isometric view is at the opposite angle of UO's and it just messed with my eyes way too much. I gotta get over that at some point.

You have got to try Ultima 7: The Black Gate.  There is a community program out there called Exult which is basically an engine that plays the Ultima game.  It is hard to explain, but what it does is allows it to run inside windows, and it also re-renders out some of the graphics so it looks amazingly sharp.  Definitely get Exult, it is free.  GOG has the Ultima 7 part1 and part2.