IOmetric

Load OS into Dimmdrive

9 posts in this topic

I think Dimmdrive is a awesome tool, very useful and versatile.

Question; considering that some motheraords can accommodate up to 256GB of ram- can you make it possible to load the entire OS in to Dimmdrive ( with a symbolic link back to the physical drive )?. If that is possible, would it improve performance, or does the sm951 coupled with the ultra M.2 gen 3 x4 up to 32gbs already got that covered?.

Hey there!

Dimmdrive doesn't have a realistic limit on RAM sizes.  I've heard of users with 192GB of RAM using Dimmdrive.  But Dimmdrive requires Windows to be running.  So because it requires Windows to be running, you can't run Windows off of Dimmdrive for your normal installation.

HOWEVER

You can have normal Windows and then install VMWare and put that on Dimmdrive.  I do it myself when I'm doing a lot of testing on my PC that has 64GB of RAM.  VMWare Windows 8.1 on Dimmdrive... let us just say, it books near instantly :)

VMWare is a way to virtualize an OS.  Any OS.  For example, I have Win 7, 8, 10, all on my laptop in VMWare.

I have an old, old Dimmdrive video showing booting an OS via VMWare.  Check it out here: 

That is the old beta Dimmdrive shown :)

Thanks!  I will watch the video asap.

Is this faster than having an SSD drive in your opinion?

It is ridiculously faster.

I personally use VMWare and have multiple OS systems which I boot on/off constantly and I do this when testing development, like cpu testing, driver changes, etc.  In fact, I use Dimmdrive with VMWare to test, you guessed it!  Dimmdrive :)

Downloading it now and will get back to you on the results.  I only 16 gig ram on the laptop, so, will I be able to use the Dimmdrive with the "not enough ram" option or do you not recommend doing so?

the less ram option essentially allows you to cherry pick which files you want to use the ramdrive and leave the rest where they are. 

For a virtual machine in ram it would not really be applicable unless you split your stuff on it on multiple virtual hard disk. 

If you really want to run windows from ram directly (without using a virtual machine), there are existing options out there but its generally complicated and as with many things, come with its own set of problems. 

Yea running Windows from Dimmdrive is really only applicable for doing things like VMWare testing, development, things like that.  You'll still want your own OS on it's own thing.