Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Tim

Sneak peak at something new I've been working on: CPUCores

31 posts in this topic

I've been working on some new software that adds a lot of efficiencies to how your CPU interacts with your OS + Games.  Instead of having a fraction of a CPU Core dedicated to a game, you can now isolate CPUs on your system towards a Steam game + control how Window's interacts with your CPU + more.  The software works very cleverly and has some pretty nice results!

The end result is, like, literally downloading more FPS.

Some sneak peaks!

jXhhyKy.jpg

n7OKfVx.jpg

Nisco likes this

Dear Tim,

I like this idea. May I suggest a more direct application of this software in the field of rendering.

Many programs (3DS Max, Zbrush, After Effects, Sony vegas, et al) only seem to render on a single core. Many of these programs have plugins to allow GPU rendering, but only while using a certain renderer. The general issue seems to be, that these programs, no matter how advanced/expensive have some rather quirky CPU usage.

Obviously spreading the load out of a render over 6 or 8 cores will have a beneficial effect than just having one core at 100%.

Perhaps having this marketed towards youtube content creators and artists alike, will be a benefit?

Perhaps some example render benchmarks too?

It is an obvious advantage to anyone who doesn't have a render-farm or quadra setup, and is still forced to render on a single core (which is almost everyone :)). (Caveat : Software dependant, of course)

Nisco likes this

Hey Devious,

I see what you're saying.  Super intensive things would benefit a lot.

The key here is basically this:   Most games/apps use 1 core  (but some use 2).  So what this app will do, among other things, is make sure that core the game gets is dedicated to just the game, versus how Windows likes to spread out things across all cores which is a highly inefficient method. 

This new app goes a long way to #1  Making Windows be efficient in its core selection to maximize a GAMES ability to run.  #2  Making the GAME have as much resources as possible, either in single core, or 2+ core mode.

BEFORE:    Your CPU might take Steam Game + Firefox + Chrome + TONS of Windows Core Processes, and shove them on CPU #1.  This means, despite you having a 2/4 core CPU, your game has to compete for resources against your web browser, ms word, core system functions, etc.  That sucks for the game. 

AFTER:   CPUCore app will efficiently organize Windows into it's own processors, keep Windows "core" systems running smoothly with CPU resources, and allocate and dedicate CPU resources specifically towards a game giving it maximum CPU resources. 

Nisco likes this

This sounds amazing, but I have one main concern:

Will this cause stability issues with games that don't natively use more than 1 core?

If not, I assume you must be using some fancy trickery to make programs "think" that these multiple-cores are actually just one core. Sort of like a core funnel.

Nisco likes this

Will this cause stability issues with games that don't natively use more than 1 core?

Nope, works nice and smooth with single core and multi-core games :)

Nisco likes this

So how does this work alongside Dimmdrive?

I presume that you just load your game into Dimmdrive like normal, and then you need to launch it from within this program.

If this is the case, have you considered offering a patch to Dimmdrive to make it so if you have both products, launching from Dimmdrive will automatically launch your game using this new program?

---

Is CPUCores the final name, or are you still looking for inspiration?

---

Would something like this, but for GPUs be possible in the future?

---

When would you say that the first public release of this new product can be expected?

Nisco likes this

Good questions!

For Dimmdrive, you'd set it up in Dimmdrive as normal, but launch it via CPUCores.

CPUCores - That's my final answer!

GPUs - Maybe.  I need to understand the deep technical architecture of how they work first, which is VERY different from CPUs. 

First release -  Few days :)

Nisco likes this

Awesome! I'm excited to try this out, and see what difference it makes in my gaming.

Four more questions. :P

Have you done any benchmark testing with and without CPUCore that you can share?

Do you plan to release CPUCore on Steam if you are given the opportunity to do so?

Do you plan on creating a new forum for CPUCore (Or perhaps just making a new mother-forum for CPUCore, Dimmdrive, and any other future programs you make)?

What do you plan on setting the price for CPUCore at? $30, like Dimmdrive?

Nisco likes this

Oops, let me clarify one thing:

When I say you "set up Dimmdrive, then launch it via CPUCores"  I mean that you launch the GAME via CPUCores, not Dimmdrive, after you have the game in DD set up.

--Have you done any benchmark testing with and without CPUCore that you can share?

Yup!  I've seen some crazy benchmark results all around.  Things vary based upon the GAME ITSELF (some games are heavy CPU dependent, some are heavy GPU), and vary based on your PC itself, and vary based on how many apps you have open.  Some apps are getting 5 more FPS, some apps are getting 30 more FPS, and some old school apps are getting 300 more FPS (@ Duke Nukem :).   This really goes to show the power of what CPUCores is doing:  Allocating MAX CPU to your game.  Then it's up to the game itself to benefit.  That is where there is going to be some wild variation on results because results is based up:   Game itself, Your PC Specs, What programs you have open on your PC. 

Also something to note:  I've managed to reduce all the CPU of Windows @ idle down by 33%.  As in, with CPUCores, Windows itself uses less CPU.  Pretty neat!   On my laptop, Windows uses 4.6% average cpu on idle.  With CPUCores, I'm using almost exactly 3%. 

-- Do you plan to release CPUCore on Steam if you are given the opportunity to do so?

Definitely.  I'm releasing off-Steam first as its easier to interact with the community as far as updates, bug fixes, feature requests, etc. 

-- Do you plan on creating a new forum for CPUCore

Yup!

--  What do you plan on setting the price for CPUCore at? $30, like Dimmdrive?

It will be less expensive.  That's all I know for now :)  

Nisco likes this

This software reminds me to Core Maximizer for the game Supreme Commander - Forged Alliance. Supcom is a very heavy CPU heavy game if you want to play whit +250 units and +3 AI or +3 players.
I had a quad core CPU but it still would lag most of the time, when i used Core Maximizer i could play without CPU lag and the balance between my core where a lot better.

Instead of Core1(70%) Core2(20%) Core3(45%) Core4(66%) the cores whit Core Maximizer would be Core1(50%) Core2(45%) Core3(45%) Core4(50%) and the graph in Task manager would be a more stable line instead going up/down the whole time.

So yeah, this is already looking very good to me :)

Tim likes this

Nisco,

Imagine that program on steriods with many more features.  That'd be sort of like what CPUCores is.  Instad of 50%/45%/etc.,  CPUCores would give it near 100%.  Essentially, CPUCores takes your Windows machine from "Bleh basic" and focuses the CPU resources to be highly specific to your Steam game (or other).

Nisco likes this

Actually, dual core systems is what initially gave me the idea for CPUCores.

Essentially, it matters what your PC specs are, how the game is developed, and what you have running.  Probably the MOST IMPORTANT FACTOR is how the game is developed.  So, for example, if the game is very CPU heavy and only supports 1 core (which most games only do), then for a dual core system, CPUCores would be very, very good.  This is because, instead of you have maybe 80%ish of a core available to the game, CPUCores will make sure it gets near 100%, which is a 20% bump in CPU for that game.  Pretty nice!

Additionally from there, if a game is 2+ core support, then this is where quad core systems would shine with CPUCores.

Nisco likes this

Hey Tim, I want to say thanks again!

My computer was doing that bug where Windows Local Host was maxing out all the CPU's.  I ran CPU cores, and it cleared it up. Thanks!

Nisco likes this

Hey Tim, I want to say thanks again!

My computer was doing that bug where Windows Local Host was maxing out all the CPU's.  I ran CPU cores, and it cleared it up. Thanks!

Hey no problem!  I have that as well.  Windows likes to do some odd things time to time.  Glad to see this is making things better :)

Hi Tim,

I know you are busy and you just launched CPUCores so you may not have had a chance to look into a feature we once discussed for CPUCores.  Have you had a chance to look into adding the feature to CPUCores for those of us who are streamers?  I am VERY impressed with Dimmdrive and its excellent performance boost so I am really interested to see if a feature for streaming can be added to CPUCores or if it is in the works.  I think it would be a great feature since both you and I know that streaming is very CPU intensive and it is even more intensive if you are streaming and playing from the same computer,.

We would be more than happy to help you test this feature if you do decide to add it as an option to CPUCores.  Since we stream 6 days a week we definitely have the ability to test this feature over many hours and under heavy load. 

Let me know.  You have my email and we are also friends on Steam so just contact me if you would like help. 

Keep up the awesome work!

Grimbone

GamerQuest

posting here as well, as I posted the same bug on your dimdrive steam forum and no reply.

basically CPUCORES doesn't work with none steam games, I add the game, load it from within the program, not only is the icon of the game really large, you can't delete games from the none steam tab, and when I do load the game from cpucores, it just loads the folder, rather then the game itself, Steam games seem to be ok. none steam games not working. So I hope you fix this, does the program have an updater system? in case there is a new version.

so far, its been ok, tested Black Mesa and a few other games, seem to be a lot better FPS wise.

so nice programe, just hope you get around to fixing the none steam bug.

Hey Gamerquest!  It is definitely on the cutting board.  Or is it chopping board?  I forgot how the phrase goes... 

I've been thinking of how this would operate and I've come to the conclusion that I would likely do some sort of multi-isolation technique, essentially something that would require a quad core CPU, which would force access and constraint of your Streaming app (or other app) into a single CPU. 

I still have to think this through, but I think it would be very, very nice.  The scenario would look something like this:   One CPU for everything related to Windows + non-essential things like Firefox, etc.   One CPU dedicated towards streaming.  2 CPUs dedicated towards gaming.  On a >4 core CPU, I could probably make that "One CPU for gaming" be configurable to 1 or 2 CPUs.