Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
o0o

"Less RAM?" filepicker: default alpha sort order is messed

4 posts in this topic

Especially when a lot of files exist in a directory you're browsing, the current goofy sort order makes it a PITA to find individual files.

This "PITA" is even evident in the YouTube howto video (@5:12) ~~ "Let's just find... lalala". Yeah.

as seen in this dimmdrive video at time mark 4:32

As I recall, I was trying to use "lighthearted" wording in the earlier post to avoid putting you on the defensive.

In the video, the "hard to find" issue is evident in your narration "let's see... ah... lalala (or somesuch)".

You pretty much knew, ahead of time, which files you wanted to select but, due to the non-alphabetic sort in that dialog, user is forced to scroll, hunt, peck.

I called the sort order "goofy"; inscrutable would be more accurate. At a glance, the sort is based on SizeOf each subdir entry... no, that's not it (I never did figure out what the sort is based on).

Is a dimmdrive preference available to enforce alphabetic sort order of nested subdirectories?

Also, is that chooser dialog window resizeable?

Asking these questions because I've not yet used dimmdrive; I've only watched the videos.

My expected usage/workflow is dealing with repeated search/replace operations across deeply-nested hierarchies of text files (project code).

edit:

Oops -- in hindsight, posting this to the "bug" subforum was inappropriate.