Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Element

Option to Organize Games According to Steam Categories

7 posts in this topic

It would be nice to improve the organization of the Games tab using Steam Categories, which could be pulled from "$STEAM/userdata/$UID/7/remote/sharedconfig.vdf", especially if the categories were nested. This could be a real time-saver for users with particularly large libraries.  :D

I could see saving a few seconds of scrolling but I doubt it would add up to a "real time-saver", even with a large library.  Being in alphabetical order pinpoints the location in the list fairly quickly.  Now, if you aren't sure of the games name then the time savings might be a little greater. 

I do think it would make a neater and more organized interface, so in that respect it's a thumbs up for me, but personally I would prefer to create and use my own categories rather than use pre-defined steam categories..

It's not a matter of issue for finding a game, the search box can pinpoint the game instantly if I'm looking for a specific game. Rather, it would be nice for browsing games to decide what to play for people that want to browse in Dimmdrive rather than in Steam.

Interesting idea.  Dimmdrive isn't meant to be a game library manager, sorting and organizing by anything like that.

But that being said, I've toyed around with making a really nice game manager, sort of like Steam/Launchbox/etc, but world's better.    I toyed with the idea mostly just for myself to use for Steam + Dosbox games + Android emulated games + EMUs in general, etc.

What do you guys think?  Would you ever use something like this?

I would love something like this, but you might have a bit of a difficult time. The legal status of emulation is a bit murky and probably best not messing around with if you intend to sell a program that does anything with it.

Hmm interesting point.  I think emulation is legal if you own the game system/cart.  But not 100% sure.

But I could always make it work with Steam, Origin, all those games auto-detected.  Then allow for users to add whatever games and game covers however they want (emulation would work from there). 

I'll think bout this for a while!

I wonder how many coders we have in the Dimmdrive community?