cinoaz

Running O/S out of RAMDRIVE

8 posts in this topic

So,

Wondering, could you load an O/S into a RAMDRIVE?

Not sure the outcome, just having fun with the "how would you do it" aspect...

I'm thinking...create an WIN image, boot using simple loader, create c:\ ramdrive, extract image into ramdrive, reboot but not power off, BIOS picks up C Drive, boots.....

Hhmmm....

Can you give me more details on your VMware computer?  what os, how much ram, ect.   Can you run steam and multiplayer games thru an os running under VMware?

Hey there,

As far as games through VMWare, I've done some yes, but I'm not really sure.  I've only done it to test.

VMWare has a "Host" and then the "VM".  The host is your main computer.  Mine is 3930k 64G RAM.   For the VM (Windows 10) for testing, I typically do 4-8GB of RAM on a 30GB-ish VM.   So then I put the VMWare file for that on Dimmdrive (Do NOT use Dimmdrive's Sync, the 30GB Sync file is extremely large) and go to town with this.  This works perfect because, for my testing, I like that it creates a specific, virtual Windows 10 for my test, then goes back to the pre-test state.

I am confused by this Tim as I must be doing something wrong. Tried to do VM and could not get the system to work. Could you write up something in a pdf that could walk me through the process you have done to make it work?

Just create your VM.  Make the size proper to fit on Dimmdrive.  Then start up Dimmdrive (don't put the VM using Dimmdrive's GUI).  And copy the VM into Dimmdrive. Then start the VM.

DXMage likes this

I was wondering, just spit balling here BUT: couldn't you have GRUB make a big ram drive and then copy the OS into that and after the copy hand the boot process off to the OS in ram?  Sure you would have a stub holding the works together but would it still be outside the realm of possibility? Granted you would also need an option to boot off the drive for updates and/or possibly a method to write the files to the drive after the OS has shut down depending on how you have it setup.....