Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
mrclick

random suggestions

9 posts in this topic

Tim would like to respond to these suggestions that he's already answered in a PM, but on the forums.

1. In addition to selecting exe's, give an option to just dimmdrive a folder (at this point I have created dummy exe files to dimmdrive my firefox profile folder)

2. GUI redesign (i like traditional GUI's if that makes sense)

3. import/export function for less ram option so that users can share what works for them (obviously this wont work for all games as users play different levels and whatnot)

4. better integration with firefox (the profile folder for firefox also needs to get dimmdrive'd, as its located in %appdata%\Mozilla or whatever)

5. scanning steam games takes a while on startup. make an optional button for scanning steam games (i know dimmdrive is targeted at gamers, but you can at least make it an option to not scan games on startup)

6. the top left corner says dimmdrive has had a major update today, but i'm already on the current version.

7. scrolling through steam games and other programs can get cumbersome after adding a lot of items

8. no way to remove items from "other programs" list

9. CPU % used doesn't seem necessary. remove the performance section and just put the "RAM used" field above the "Dimmdrive size" label'

1: I can drag a folder with no exe into the 'other' section of dimmdrive, can you not?

2: I completely agree

3: this would be awesome, i was also thinking, at the very least, a forum dedicated to this topic so we can share with each other

4: same for chrome

5: I agree

6: I dunno why but I also find this annoying, but I understand why it's there as well...

7: I think this is the biggest issue I have with the current GUI

8: if you click the wrench icon a configuration window pops up, in the upper right corner, next to the green light, is a trash can.... click the trash can and it will remove the item from DD

9: I would like to see this replaced with a cumulative total of ram needed as you enable each app/folder/item so you know how big to make the ram drive.

great stuff, thanks for sharing

1. In addition to selecting exe's, give an option to just dimmdrive a folder (at this point I have created dummy exe files to dimmdrive my firefox profile folder)

As Screwyluie said, this is already possible through either dragging the folder in, or copy/pasting it in!

5. scanning steam games takes a while on startup. make an optional button for scanning steam games (i know dimmdrive is targeted at gamers, but you can at least make it an option to not scan games on startup)

Maybe it should not rescan automaticly on startup once it has done it once? Or scan only when dimmdrive is done starting up completely (so it doesnt keep games unavailable for a while, i could see how 50 games would make this take a while.

8. no way to remove items from "other programs" list

More of a question to you, is the trashcan not clear enough or was it a simple oversight?

9. (CPU % used doesn't seem necessary. remove the performance section and just put the "RAM used" field above the "Dimmdrive size" label')

I would like to see this replaced with a cumulative total of ram needed as you enable each app/folder/item so you know how big to make the ram drive.

I like this idea!

Also, Screwyluie is the god of being everywhere  :P

The trash can button is extremely hard to see. I only noticed it after you guys mentioned the location. There should just be a remove option (to remove a program/folder) when you right click the "other programs" area.

Instead of dragging folders to the other programs menu, (which is nice), make it a right click menu option to add a directory. That would make it more obvious to new users.

The "About Dimmdrive" button doesn't do anything either.

Also, Screwyluie is the god of being everywhere  :P

lol, i'm just really excited about this program, and I feel the need to help up as much as possible so others can be as excited as I am about it.

The trash can button is extremely hard to see. I only noticed it after you guys mentioned the location. There should just be a remove option (to remove a program/folder) when you right click the "other programs" area.

Instead of dragging folders to the other programs menu, (which is nice), make it a right click menu option to add a directory. That would make it more obvious to new users.

The "About Dimmdrive" button doesn't do anything either.

it is hard to see, i agree. And i believe someone else brought up the about button not working, i think it's on the list of things to do, but good catch all the same.

Hey guys,

These are AMAZING suggestions.  I've been out for a few days but will be revisiting this thread shortly with a giant wall of text :)

Different gui interfaces would be nice. I'm really not digging the ram look for it. 

Enable support for selecting SCSI disk emulation, or direct-IO disks. Direct IO can be less stable and more volatile on some computers, but for me, I've used other ram drive softwares before and I always find that I get an extra 2 GB/s read on direct IO drives

Support selecting cluster size, compression and other formating options inside dimmdrive without having to reformat and do all the other fun stuff from the windows side of things.

Support exact image save and load options, perhaps save it as a .dimm file, or stick to the norms and go with .bin or .img (On that note as well, for those useing fat32 for there storage partition allow for split images.)

Allow multiple ram drives at once all with different sizes. I like to keep a minecraft server running all the time in ram disk so it doesn't kill me SSD's with it's constant writes.

I'm sure I have a ton more if I take the time to think of it. The big ones for me are enabling direct-io drives and cluster size for the drive. Those two features will let me tweak it to run as fast as possible for games based on the size of most of the commonly read files. 

Did I mention I like computers? lol

Allow multiple ram drives at once all with different sizes. I like to keep a minecraft server running all the time in ram disk so it doesn't kill me SSD's with it's constant writes.

all really good ideas. i wanted to comment on this one... since DD constantly writes back to the original files, perhaps a way to disable that feature and only have it write at the end or in lesser intervals?

all really good ideas. i wanted to comment on this one... since DD constantly writes back to the original files, perhaps a way to disable that feature and only have it write at the end or in lesser intervals?

Yup, thats another one actually. And a choice of where it saves the image file. I would like to not keep it on my SSDs