Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cinoaz

Monitor RAMDRIVE performance while in game

6 posts in this topic

Since DIMMDRIVE is meant to BOOST loading times, thought it would be helpful to see HD Seek times while in game or at least record those values to a log value to see the different between DD and SSD....

That sounds like a great idea.

It may be a while before Tim adds something like that though.

For now you can make use of Dimmdrive's HD Benchmark or another program such as CrystalDiskMark

Hey there!

Could you go into a bit more detail of how this would look/work?  Like, from a user perspective, what would you want to see again?  I'm having a hard time visualizing.  That and it is 2am and I'm dead beat tired :)

It sounds to me as if they are discussing a program that diagnoses load times and load screens from external.  I believe this would be difficult to design a program that could diagnose every single program ever.  HOWEVER, it would be good marketing to design programs that sort of bench mark the difference on a specific game.  Imagine a game just for League of Legends, that is titled League of Legends DimmDrive Analyzer.  The way the program could work, is that it would make a shared shorcut.  The shortcut would not only initiate the League of Legends app, but it would start the analysis program.  This would give it a definitive starting point, from which to determine game load time.  This analysis program could also time the game scene load times.  These two things would be of importance to people who play Legends. 

An app that is designed for one specific game could be distributed to the community, and it could become popular.  That is where you would get lots of free advertising, from a secondary free application that has your name attached.  Imagine if you have multiple of these analysis apps designed for the top popular games.  I personally would suggest creating relationships with people who play the top games on twitch.  You don't have to have the top streamers, but to target the games that have the most viewers.

This analysis program seems pretty simple to do, however I do not know how to work around the anti-cheat programs.  I could design a simple autohotkey script to analyze the game screen, but I'm not sure if there's a much simpler and more elegant solution.

I use PROCMON now to see what files are getting hit the most.  Thxs to another forum user in helping me understand that tool.  I use afterburner for my games so I know how far I can push things in terms of setting before my system starts to "buckle" a bit. 

The solution could be as complex as PROCMON report, or, a much simpler "Gauge" that just displays the Read/Writes currently going through the RAMDISK.  The main point is determining if DIMMDRIVE is really applicable to the game itself.

Playing DOTA2, most files are loaded upon startup.  There's not much going on during gameplay, so DIMMDRIVE really doesn't affect DOTA2.  Due to other "code" stuff, even loading the game doesn't change much.  However, if I had a some monitor, say in Afterburner where I constantly see my Drive Access pegged out, now there's a game DIMMDRIVE could really use.

The root issue was whether or not the game files were actually being loaded from DIMMDRIVE or was it a bunch of smoke and mirrors.  Having done further analysis I answered that question, but for new users the question remains.

How much performance increase am I getting for the games I play.  Don't give me general numbers, let me see for myself.