Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
elefantman

Dimmdrive vs M.2 PCI-E & SSD's

18 posts in this topic

I just bought Dimmdrive so I thought I would post some benchmark results.

The specs of my gaming rig are as follows.

CPU: i7-4790K OC @ 4800
     Vcore @ 1.255v
     Uncore @ 45 
     VCCRING 1.171v

Mobo: Asus Maximus VII Ranger 

Memory: TeamGroup Xtreem LV 8GB 2666 MHz x 2 16GB Total

GPU: 2 x SLI Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming OC @ 1500MHz

PSU: Coolermaster Vanguard 850W 80+ Gold

DRIVE CAGE: ICY DOCK MB994SP-4SB-1 4x2.5

DRIVES:
Plextor PX-G128M6e 128 GB M.2 PCI-E SSD
Crucial CT240M500SSD4 240 GB in M.2 SSD to 2.5" adapter tray SATA (6Gb/s)
OCZ-Vertex 450 SATA (6Gb/s)
LOTS MORE HOT SWAP SSD's

CASE: COOLER MASTER HAF XB

COOLING: CPU NEPTON 140XL AIO WATER

dimmdrive.jpg

As you can see from the benchmark results Dimmdrive certainly is fast really impressed thus far.
jibjabst and Deadmeat553 like this

I have just updated to the steam version and re ran the above benchmark on the Dimmdrive and the results are below...very impressed with the software.

I use Gimp photo editing software a lot and it usually take around 10-12 seconds to load from my ssd. With Gimp running from the Dimmdrive its open in around 1 second.

I have also tried Dimmdrive with SolidWorks 2014 and load times have been massivly increased on the program and my complex 3000 parts plus models. 

dimm2.jpg

Memory info below from Aida64 and CPUZ. You can only get the memory from Overclockers in the Uk as far as I am aware. Nice memory though and I have overclocked it to 3000mhz with the same timnings in the past but my chip does not like running overclocked with overclocked memory as well so I just run the XMP profile on the memory.

memory.jpg

All I can say is:   Will you help me OC my RAM? :)    Seriously, I could use some help!!!

PS:  My laptop has a M.2 PCI-e X4 and with 1600mhz RAM.  My PCI-ex gets about 1150MB/s while my Dimmdrive gets about 7000MB/s.  I should post some screenshots, too!

The figures I have posted above are all NOT overclocked on the ram I am using the XMP profile. I CAN overclock the ram to 3000 but haswell chips don't like the memory voltage too high and my rig is overclocked to be 100% stable as I cannot afford a crash while working on complex 3d models. Get posting them screenshots Tim that PCI-e X4 is giving you some nice performance. 

Wait, that isn't overclocked?!

Could you do a brief overclocking and take a picture of your speeds then? I'm expecting something ridiculous like 20,000MB/s

Thats correct the standard speed is 2666 @ 11,13,13,35 running 1.65v. In my experience Haswell chips prefer 1.5v memory so you can normaly push the memory voltage a bit higher to overclock. My memory is kind of overclocked out of the box hence the 1.65v and fairly tight timings.

From memory I had it running at 3000 mhz at around  12,14,14,36

If I get a chance I will see if I can dig out my notes from when I built this system overclocking is not a 5 minute job. I would guess it took around 100 hrs of testing to get my rig to the level it is at now and be 100% stable. Some of the CAD and 3D renders push this machine to 100% cpu load for 20 hrs at a time doing stress testing on 3D structure assemblies. You dont want a crash @ 98% of a 20 hour run ;-)

Not sure I would expect 20,000 MB/s at those timings but we will see.

I will see what I can do  B)

Ok so just for a laugh and because Deadmeat553 asked nicely I ran a "quick" overclock. Could not post at 3000 but all went well at 2933Mhz @ 12,14,14,36 results are below and not the increase some may expect. The increase in timings account for a big loss in performance.

I would imagine that under clocking and tighter timings would produce slightly better results here.

2933.jpg

As a comparison below is my memory underclocked to 2400 @ 10,12,12,32

2400.jpg

So why you might ask do I run at 2666 @ 11,13,13,35. Simple as in the real world it gives me the best performance in the programs that I use on a daily basis. It was interesting none the less to see the differences in performance here.

I build 2-3 high end machines most months so if I get hold of some really nice uber fast ram I will try Dimmdrive on it to compare.

The next x99 with ddr4 I build I will compare my results I wont hold my breath though as the 5 Haswell-E systems I have built have not impressed me for the price point of them and ddr4 timings are very loose but that may improve with time.

Geez, that is ridiculous.

That's almost at the point that Skyrim is already loaded before you even hit "play". ;)

It would be if I played Skyrim but fallout 3 is pretty quick  :P

Can I easily use DimmDrive with Autodesk Revit and have it save my files to a server as opposed to onto the ram disk or hard disk?

Yup!  You can save your files anywhere if it lets you, doesn't have to be to Dimmdrive :)