ZorisX

Would DIMMDRIVE reduce RAM Life Expectancy?

15 posts in this topic

I am adoring this program so far and what it is trying to do but my friends have skeptical questions before jumping in. 

Does DIMMDRIVE reduce the life expectancy of your RAM by making it work more? 

I would arguably say it wouldn't as you are telling your computer WHERE to look for the files before hand. 

If you could Tim, please shed some light on this question 

Thank you very much! 

Nope! Dimmdrive damages your RAM no more than normally using it does.

Dimmdrive doesn't actually make your RAM do anything that it doesn't already do. It's just how it does it that's special.

ZorisX likes this

Nope! Dimmdrive damages your RAM no more than normally using it does.

Dimmdrive doesn't actually make your RAM do anything that it doesn't already do. It's just how it does it that's special.

So would it be wrong to assume this doesn't produce more heat from the ram as well? 

Sorry if I come across as being naive, but I'm wondering how allocating a game to RAM would be considered " normal use " 

Nope, no more heat than usually.

When playing a game part of the game is allocated to your RAM while it is in use. What Dimmdrive does is allocate it all at once. This basically just removes the transfer between your HDD/SSD and your RAM which majorly cuts down on time.

Let me rephrase myself incase that didn't make sense: If you are playing a game and it is 10GB, you might have 1GB allocated to your RAM during normal use. Whenever your CPU needs data that isn't on the RAM, your HDD/SSD has to transfer that data to the RAM which is a slow process. Dimmdrive allocates all 10GB to your RAM and then when your CPU needs some specific data it's pretty much already there (it's not quite that simple, but that's pretty much close enough to how it actually works).

jibjabst likes this

Thats cool, I understand it. 

I have high quality Patriot RAM with heatsinks and the works, but I'm just trying to make sure that I cover all my bases when it comes to trying out this product :) 

Makes a lot more sense though, thank you. 

I do only have 8gb of RAM, are there options for those who are literally at the  "acceptable" required RAM ?  4-8 is usually the norm but I understand that this program encourages vital participation of excess memory that you have. 

Dimmdrive is still useful on 8GB computers (I use it on my laptop which has 8GB all the time). Of course the more RAM the better though.

Dimmdrive has a feature called "Less RAM?" which lets you use it with games that are larger than the amount of spare RAM than you have. You are able to uncheck files that don't really need to be in Dimmdrive (things that already load instantaneously like music and cutscenes). All unchecked files are simply loaded from your normal drive instead.

Guess I shall give this a go

Have you noticed a large increase in performance? what games do you play? is it hard to setup one-click profiles?

YES. The increase in performance is absolutely insane.

I play a wide range of games. Small indie games, multiplayer games, large AAA games, etc.

If you want specifics just take a look at my Steam profile.

ZorisX likes this

Now when it comes to OS and other operations, how do I manage that vs. what I would tell this program to do? 

What will happen if I try to ALT-TAB a program in and out, thus using up a different type of data that would be normally used within the program. 

Just want to make sure that there's a safe way to ensure that both my OS has what it needs and that I don't corrupt any exchanged data. Also want to make sure my existing program doesn't go down. 

Dimmdrive isn't really for your OS. RAM is volatile so you can't store it on it and it doesn't make much sense to transfer it once your computer is already on.

ALT-TAB'ing doesn't really have anything to do with Dimmdrive. It acts exactly the same as always.

Dimmdrive is almost fool proof. Just don't put critical data on it that isn't backed up on an actual drive. Like don't start up Dimmdrive, write a 10 page report on cheetah reproduction and then save it to your Dimmdrive.

I know that, I'm just wondering how I manage the memory my OS requires vs what I can use for apps that I would want to run so I don't mess up everything :) 

I suggest leaving 4GB for your OS and somewhere equal to or above the minimum amount necessary for any given game.

I will use Skyrim and and imaginary desktop as an example:

Storage: 5.75GB

Min RAM: 2GB

Rec RAM: 4GB

Total RAM: 16GB

I would create a 6GB DD, leaving more than enough for both my OS and my game to run super smoothly.