arilon

How about an option to cache to SSD instead of RAM for bigger games/apps?

12 posts in this topic

I have 16GB of ram, so I usally use 8GB for DIMM. Since Battlefield 4 now uses over 50GB I moved it away from my SSD onto my 2TB HD.

For games <8GB, loading stuff into ram is easy and fast, but battlefield uses almost all of its huge .cas files equaly, so no chance for me and my 8GB.

How about an option to make a dimm disk on the SSD?!

This way I don't need to copy my games back and forth and I can use SSD space temporarily for my games and stuff, if i need it.

That would be an awesome feature!

Cheers.

I just made a account for this question, seeing theres a option (If Im not mistaken) to use thumb drives it should be possible and (hopefully) easy to the option to do this. The new huge games don't fit on the old 40gb so being able to load most of a game on the SSD would increase the speed right?

If I understood it correctly, the thumb drive option is only for faster loading speeds into the ramdisk :( Something like a fast cache for dimmdrive.

I think it would be great to have the possibility of creating the "dimmdrive" on the SSD. I know the big boost is then gone, but since I'm barely noticing differences in loading speeds between dimmdrive and my ssd, it would be fine for me. I'm just not able to install all the games on my SSD.

No, it's about temporary "moving" games, the same way dimmdrive doeas it into the ramdisk.

A ramdisk is nothing else then a fixed or sometimes dynamic space allocated in ram for the use as a drive with a file system. Then dimmdrive is copying all the selected files into this "virtual disk" and symlinks everything correctly.

Yes, I could copy, or even install (steam let's me choose since some time now) the games where ever I want. But I don't want to have the games always installed on my SSD and I don't want to copy the games for a gaming session, create the appropriate symlinks every time by hand, then copy everything back when i'm finished to have my gamefiles synced, when I could have this awesome software do that : D The read speed from the HD to the ramdisk or to the SSD would be exactly the same (saying the read speed of the HD is the limiting factor). So no time lost there and the access speed from the ram is way way faster than from the SSD. But in my tests it apparently never made a huge difference. Big difference between HD and dimmdrive, but not between SSD and dimmedrive.

Other users also experienced same results: http://www.reddit.com/r/DimmDrive/comments/1rd97m/actual_speedboost_over_ssd/

Doesn't make dimmdrive less attractive for me, but it would be even more awesome if I could use my SSD for bigger games like battlefield, star citizen etc... :)

I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do.

Let me see if I understand your situation correctly:

You have BF4 (which is 50GB or so) on your HDD. You have 16GB of RAM so putting all of it on Dimmdrive is not an option. You have an SSD but would rather not keep BF4 saved on it for whatever reason (the reason isn't important).

The way I see it you have a few options. You might like some more than others:

1. Just run BF4 off of your HDD

2. Move BF4 to your SSD and keep it there, loading off of that

3. Use SteamMover to move all of BF4 from your HDD to your SSD every time you want to play BF4 and then run it off of your SSD

4. Use Dimmdrive's "Less RAM?" feature and select whichever files are the most important that you can fit on your RAM. Load the rest off of your HDD

5. Use Dimmdrive's "Less RAM?" feature and select whichever files are the most important that you can fit on your RAM. Load the rest off of your SSD.

6. Use Dimmdrive's "Less RAM?" feature and select whichever files are the most important that you can fit on your RAM. Use SteamMover to temporarily move the rest from your HDD onto your SSD.

Personally for your case I would recommend either 2, 3, 4, or 5. 1 is the slowest and 6 seems like it would be a huge pain.

As some new great games they now reach the point of 50-60GB, you have a 40GB old SSD you can run some of the game of your RAM but it would be nice if you could run some of the game of your SSD, Basicly be able to use "Less ram" option but instead of makeing a temp drive on your ram you make it on your SSD thats not able to hold the entire. 

you can, symlink parts of the game folder to the other drive, moving the files not flagged for loading into the rammdrive to the ssd
It would be very easy to break, but you could always load a backup archive from an external HDD ;-)

You could leave some large files on the HDD, set them to load into rammdrive.
Other large files, not needed or accessed less frequently, can either stay on the HDD, or get a temporary copy to the SSD.

This in the end would sacrifice the lifespan of your SSD / HDD with all those daily large volume data transfers.
You might be better off getting a larget SSD, more RAM or a duplicate HDD to create a RAID mirror.

At first I didn't quite get it, now I do and I totally get it.

I can find a good 120GB SSD pretty cheap, much cheaper than system memory, and it's much faster than spindle drives.  I can then swap games on the fly to the SSD and run off of the SSD without always having to Install/Uninstall and use DD instead.

I think that's a wicked idea, really allows the user to take advantage of price per performance options in real world applications.

arilon likes this

This sounded like a really stupid response in the beginning.... but hear me out... I thought about it, and I think that there is quite a sensible solution.  

My first thought was "why can't he just install on the SSD", but he explained that he didn't want permanent installs there......... 

So, what if DimmDrive could incorporate this idea, along with the "Less Ram" option.  Imagine having 8 gigs of ram (pretty common for laptops).  You can choose 4 or 6 gigs of ram to dedicate DimmDrive to, but most games need a few more gigs.  DayZ needs 8.9gb total.  The less ram option could allow to temporarily "cache" the files that were not included in the virtual drive in a chosen storage location.  Surely SSDs would be the best option here, but would a usb stick be possible?  I have some of the memory sticks that are as fast as some SSDs.  

I can see how this would allow someone with a small SSD to get the benefit of it, for many more games.  I'm assuming that this would be simple to implement, because just as the virtual drive creates a copy to run from ram, it could create a copy to run from an SSD.  

This feature would allow laptop users to have a large and fast external mechanical HDD, and keep their internal as free from clutter as possible.