Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MinesSkyline

Dimmdrive crashes when you click "USB 3.0 Turbo" after formatting the USB drive once you've used it with Dimmdrive

10 posts in this topic

System Info:

Amount of RAM: 16GB

Steam: Yes

Bug Description:

The "USB 3.0 Turbo" button under the "Settings" tab crashes Dimmdrive when clicked under certain conditions. Dimmdrive works perfectly fine if you don't touch this button once this condition happens. It only crashes if you click the USB 3.0 button.

Steps to Reproduce:

1. Pick a game to put on the Dimmdrive and enable it.
  2. Go to the "Settings" tab and click "USB 3.0 Turbo" and select the USB drive you want to use and follow the "Next" button through.
  3. Enable Dimmdrive and let it populate the USB drive and RAM as it would normally.
  4. Start the game to see if all is well. It will be.
  5. Disable Dimmdrive and let it remove everything from RAM and keep files on the USB drive.
  6. Close Dimmdrive.
  7. Format the USB drive and change the name. Keep the format settings the same (NTFS and so on) and ONLY change the drive name.
  8. Open Dimmdrive again, repeat step 3 and 4. The RAM cache will work perfectly fine, the game will work perfectly fine. It will even read from the USB drive (it will populate it again and you can read from it).
  9. Repeat Step 5. 
  10. Go to the "Settings" tab and click "USB 3.0 Turbo". Dimmdrive will now crash. I assume its because it is looking for the old USB drives name.

Temporary fix:

Reinstall Dimmdrive.

1. Go to \AppData\Roaming\Dimmdrive and open Dimmdrive.xml for editing.
  2. Change the bold part to the name of your new USB drive. "<usbVolumeName>Corsair32</usbVolumeName>"
  3. Save and exit. Restart Dimmdrive.

Please let me know if more information is needed.

Hey Mines, rather than re-install Dimmdrive, if you go into your %appdata%\Dimmdrive folder, and delete the Dimmdrive config files, does that temp fix it?

Hi Tim,

Some more experiments later, I found that it has nothing to do with formatting the USB drive. It has all to do with its name. You can cause the crash by simply renaming the drive and clicking on "USB 3.0 Turbo". It still works properly as long as you don't click the button.

I also found that a better temporary fix is to just go into "Dimmdrive.xml" and correcting this "<usbVolumeName>Corsair32</usbVolumeName>".

Oh wow, that is quite some find, thanks!

Okay so the drive name is tricky and you know what will fix it.  Can you figure out what name or name type is causing the crash?  If Corsair works, does something like Corsair 3, or Corsair @%@#^, or such, cause the crash?

Well, I think you can name it anything and it will be fine. I tried the names you suggested, and they work once I change it in the .xml file. It still crashed if I don't correct the .xml.

I think the problem is that the program is still looking for the old name even though the name of the device has changed. The reason why the RAM Disk portion still works is because the .xml also stores that it is "G:" drive. That isn't changing so the path is the same.

But then there is another problem that I see based on the above. Say I have two drives called "Corsair32". When I plug each one into the computer individually, they are both G drive. So it will use the new one. Technically, that shouldnt happen because its a different device. We only gave it permission to use ONE of them, but BOTH will work as long as they are named the same. Maybe a better way to recognize the device is by its unique ID that is independent of everything. For example, my drives, what I think is its, unique ID is "USBSTOR\Disk&Ven_Corsair&Prod_Voyager_3.0&Rev_1.00\22061323180000010194&0". So instead of <usbVolumeName>, this should be stored so it only writes on one device. If that device isn't present, throw a warning saying plug it in, or authorize another usb drive from some new list thats plugged in now.

I could be totally wrong about this, but what do you think? We had to do something like this (assign unique ID) in Linux for two same joysticks we had for our robot.

Has this now been fixed in v2.1.3?

Is DimmDrive TurboMode "recognizing" an attached drive based on its volume label (vs the UUID of the drive partition)?

Hey guys,

I was just alerted that the recent build has some things wonky with the USB3.  I've been unable to confirm the issues, but I do believe they are there.  I deployed a fix a couple weeks back that some people are testing and I'm going to widely make it available in 1-2 days.

So check soon for Dimmdrive 2.1.3 likely by Sunday :)